Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Aug 19, 2005, 3:41 AM   #1

.... hey guys! i want to add up the zoom capability of my S2, any recommendation? i prefer known Brands like canon and nikon....

....hope you can help me and the other S2 IS owner seeking TELE...THANKS!
BLAZEPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2005, 3:30 AM   #2

I have the Canon tele converter lens, and it is both sharp and contrasty. It is also reasonable in price. I bought a spare Canon lens adapter for it, so that I can switch between the tele converter and the UV filter that is normally mounted on my S2 with a press of a button. Having a fairly fast, quality 600mm + zoom lens with IS on tap is a revelation compared to the same length lens on a non IS SLR. Amazing technology. I have read good reports about other brands of teleconverters, and will try them when I can, but I can attest to the fact that the Canon glass works like a charm.

Voyager
Voyager13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 3:43 AM   #3

....THANKS!

....i suppose u wer talking about the recommneded tele lens for S2, from canon...

... can u please give me the model # of the tele lens u got... how much did u pay for it?

....whats the uv filter for? for sun haze?...

...."quality 600mm + zoom lens with IS on tap " dnt get this...are 2 lens combined as one or just 1 lens with IS capability? sorry...

...what canon adapter u got? 52 or 58 mm? is it made of plastic? coz they say lens mate sell adpater for S2 that is made of aluminum, or atleast made of metal...

.....Your a Big Help...-THANKS A LOT!
Old Sep 1, 2005, 10:39 PM   #4

OK, the tele lens I bought is the Canon TC-DC58B. It's a 1.5x adaptor that screws into the Canon lens hood/converter adaptor. The narrow end that screws into the adaptor is 58mm. The "business end" of the lens is not threaded for filters, so you either have to buy a slip on filter adapter, or make one like I did. Either way, you end up with a 72mm threaded face to the tele converter, and it is worth the extra effort to be able to protect the lens with a UV/haze filter, or use a polorizing filter when the situation calls for it. The Canon tele extender is a very high quality chunk of glass, and produces very sharp and contrasty images. There are several reviews available on the net, and it seems that S2 lens quality is biased toward the long end of it's zoom range to begin with. The Canon tele adapter takes advantage of that construction, and really delivers quality images.

My reference to Image Stabilization referred to the S2's built in system. The thought of taking sharp handheld pictures with a 600+mm lens used to be a fantasy (most of the time). With the S2 and other cameras in it's class, handheld pictures at 600+mm are a point and shoot reality. It is IS technology that makes the super zoom cameras work so well.

There are a number of other companies that offer lens adapters for the S2, and a few are tempting enough that I will buy them in time. Meanwhile, I can tell you straight up that the Canon tele converter is both reasonably priced, and built to very high standards of quality. You might well end up with lens adapters from several companies, but the Canon tele converter is a keeper.

By the way, the Canon adapter/lens hood is made of plastic material, and is very inexpensive. You can check current prices for the adapter and the tele converter on Amazon.com. That's where I bought mine. The plastic material is of very high quality, and is much better than aluminum in terms of dimensional stability, corrosion resistance, thread accuracy, and weight. From my point of view, I would pay extra for the plastic. Aluminum is far too soft, threads corrode too easily, and the finish will wear off in time. Aluminum is an old solution to a serious problem, but it has been eclipsed by modern materials.

There may be some companies that use cheap plastic in their products, but the Canon accessories are made of the right stuff.

Voyager
Voyager13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 4:03 AM   #5

THANKS A LOT FOR THE INFO...I WILL TAKE YOUR ADVICE!!!!!

...THANKS AGAIN ANG MORE POWER!....

...IF U CAN GIVE ME INFO BOUT MACRO AND WIDE LENS CONVERTER....WILL APPRECIATE IT!!!

-THANKSSS!!!!

Old Sep 5, 2005, 8:13 AM   #6

thanks for that voyager (was just going to ask about tele lenses)..

Maybe people with experience of alternatives of varying cost could let us know which they like. ie .. from other manufacturers that will fit on the 58mm thread.

i have purchased a lensmate adapter (due soon), and thank goodness i went for the 58mm one as i really want to exploit the IS and go further with zoom.

Accepting what you say voyager about the adapter and hood from canon. That may be something i'll look at in the futture for hot swapping lenses, and for less than 20 quid it's a good deal. But i have to be honest and say that for purely aesthetic reasons i went for the lensmate as a lens protector more than anything, although now i 'must have' a tele converter to see how it goes.

Could i be so bold as to ask you to post a recent unaltered image taken at full (600mm+) tele with IS on so that i can see how it looks .

I can pm you my gmail email addy if it's easier for you to send me a large jpeg.

thanks ,

nacoya
nacoya is offline   Reply With Quote