Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jan 23, 2003, 3:39 PM   #1

Default Tele Photo Lens For s602

Hello, i am an ametuer digi photographer. I need more zoom for when i shoot soccer and football games.

I need to get a telephoto attachment lens for my camera. There a few diffrent kinds available. I am wondering, are the cheapers one a better buy, or are the more expensive ones worth the diffrece?

Fuji Makes one 1.5X $175
Raynox Makes one 1.85X $98
Opteka 2x $55

I dont mind spending more money for a better lense. What are the diffrences between theses lenses? And why are they priced so diffrently??
Adamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2003, 3:52 PM   #2

I have the Raynox 1850 and am pleased with the pics. I have a Oly c4040 (3X optical) and you can see some sample pics at this link:
www.pbase.com/gibsonpd3620
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2003, 1:22 AM   #3

Default Re: Tele Photo Lens For s602

Fuji Makes one 1.5X $175
Opteka 2x $55

I dont mind spending more money for a better lense. What are the diffrences between theses lenses? And why are they priced so diffrently??[/quote]
Old Feb 4, 2003, 2:51 PM   #4

Check the Fuji sectionof dpreview.com. There is a lot of information re addon lenses there.
Ron Kaplansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2003, 6:32 PM   #5

Default Re: Tele Photo Lens For s602

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamb
Hello, i am an ametuer digi photographer. I need more zoom for when i shoot soccer and football games.

I need to get a telephoto attachment lens for my camera. There a few diffrent kinds available. I am wondering, are the cheapers one a better buy, or are the more expensive ones worth the diffrece?

Fuji Makes one 1.5X $175
Opteka 2x $55

I dont mind spending more money for a better lense. What are the diffrences between theses lenses? And why are they priced so diffrently??
John C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 8:22 AM   #6

Default Telephoto Lens for s602

I bought the Opteka Telephoto Lens from 47th Street on e-bay and I'm not really happy with the quality of the pictures. I suggest spending the money and getting a better quality lens.
mcasby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2003, 8:26 PM   #7

The "best" telephoto I've found for my S602Z is the Olympus B-300 1.7x which has just been replaced with the TCON-17 which is virtually identical in every relevant way.

The Olympus teleconverters are consistently excellent in optical compatablity with a broad range of cameras. I use the B-300/TCON-17 with a wide range of my digicams including Sony, Olympus, Fuji, Canon, and others.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2003, 8:38 PM   #8

Adamb - I just replied to an almost identical inquiry as yours in teh FUji forum. Heer is what i replied with(with some additional info added in):

I recommend you check out the Olympus TCON-17 if you want the best value/performance ratio. It is a 1.7x, but a pretty decent unit and only about $100 USD. It is sharper and has less CA than many lenses, and certainly far superior to others in it's price range(100USD). This lens is also rather lite, as it has a plastic type body, this may or may not be beneficial to you according to your preferences.

If you want the sharpest/resolving lenses you will be very limited in your choices, and pay a premium price as well.

Some examples of superb lenses(prices given are average online prices from reputable dealers):

Sony VCL-HGD1758 (1.7x) >$210
Olympus TCON-14b(1.45x) >$180
Olympus TCON-300(3x) >*$600

* TCON-300 will require a custom adapter to mount to a s602. Average costs for these custom machined adapters at a mahcine shop run about $100, so add this to the average price listed above.

It should also be noted that the lenses listed above are quite large and heavy given their multiplier ratings, as they have large optics/many elements and metal bodies.

Additionally, the TCON-300 MUST be tripod mounted in most cases. It is extremely large for a teleconvertor, and with the focal length acheived it will be difficult to get good images due to hand shake at anything but very will lit scenes if you do not use a tripod.

The Sony may be the best 1.7 tele for a reasonable price available, it produces so little image degradatino that it is insubstantial. The TCON-14b is the same, but has slighlty less magnificaiont(1.45x). But realize you will be adding well over a pound to your camera using these 2 units. My favorite is the TCON-14b for general use. It has very large optics, therfor allowing a greater range of zoom without vignetting thatn other lenses, as well as it has front threads for filters/protective glass. Oddly, many teleconvertors do not have front threads. I can not figure out that one.

Of course, you can use the cheap/low quality lenses such as Raynox, Kenko, etc. However, you WILL experience very high levels of chromatic abberations(purple fringing) and fuzzy edges pretty far into the photographs. If you attempt to use the cheapest lenses such as Crystal Optics, Platinum, etc. you will likely have near unusable images. They are that bad on high resolutno digital cameras! These lenses may work very well on most camcorders though.

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 4:21 PM   #9

I just purchased the TCON-17 for my Panasonic FZ-30 on ebay for $90 US. It hasn't arrived yet and I'm really anxious to see some pics from this combo. Anyone out there have any? How do you think this will work on my camera Chris?

Wayne
waynespixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 5:48 AM   #10

Hi

1.5 1.7 no good . If the 602 zoom is not good enough, then save your pennies and convert too DSLR. Then the sky is the limit.
geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote