Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Sep 1, 2005, 11:24 PM   #1

Hello all, I have what I guess is a common question. I own a Canon A510 and was wondering if the after market telephoto, 2x 3x converters, close upand wide angle lenses do a decent job.I have no special needsor uses, just the occasional long, wide or close up shots. Are these worth spending the money on? IE: is there alot of distoration and what are the drawbacks? If they are worth getting, what brands do you recommend? Back in my SLR daysI always used Tokina with great results. Thanks in advance, Steve's is the best cam site on the net.
TL514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2005, 7:01 PM   #2

Many of the cheaper teleconverters you might find on eBay are problemsome: blurry images, vignetting, poor focus, poor color, etc. Nonetheless, the Raynox dcr250 "super-macro"is an outstanding buy for the buck.

Various adapters are available for those smaller cameras that have lenses that move in and out. It comes with a multi-lens thread adapter. I've had one for several months now and it works extremely well!http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/...exdcr250eg.htm

Again, tube adapters for many cameras are available (see here http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digital/egdigital.htm ) B&H, Adorama, etc. all carry it, but eBay has it for around US$53 or so delivered.

I have NOT tried the Raynox brandteleconverters ... they may be good, but I simply do not know.

hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 9:40 PM   #3

Ya mainly I was looking for close up. so you would grab this "Raynox dcr250 "super-macro" and the Canon adaptor instead of say a set of Bower close up lenes?

"Various adapters are available for those smaller cameras that have lenses that move in and out. It comes with a multi-lens thread adapter. I've had one for several months now and it works extremely well!"

What actually do you have? Also call me stupid I guess, but when you state " for those smaller cameras that have lenses that move in and out" are you meaning the standard lens of the camera moving in and out or referring to a aftermarket lens like a SLR would use?

Old Sep 6, 2005, 11:10 AM   #4

I usethe Raynoxboth on a Sony digital F828 (large diameter macro-zoom) as well asmy almost-retired 25 year old Contax RTS and a T*normal lensand get excellent results from both. On edit, I recently used it on a Sony DSC-S70 with a moving lens assembly and Sony's tube adapter as well as a Sony video camera.

For me, price was the issue and after significant web research and viewing many pictures taken with the Raynox, I purchased it. It outpreforms my old stacked-lens (various diopter) method. I tried to attach a photo I took this past weekend for you to see .. by no means perfect, but it was hand held!

Checkhttp://www.sonycams.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4103 to read some reviews and see several outstanding photos taken by impressed purchasers.

Regarding the moving lens ... many of the cameras with built-in lenses move their whole lens assembly in and out, but have threads on the body of the camera, surrounding the lens, and not on the lens itself. This requires a tube adapter which still allows the permanent lens to move in and out. Your A510 has the moving lens assembly.

According to the Raynox website, you would need the Canon LA-DC52F adapter to use a macro or tele lens.

Hope this helps
Attached Images

Old Sep 6, 2005, 12:28 PM   #5

Cool, thought that's what you meant on the moving lens part. Ordered the macro from 47th street photo $44.95 + shipping and the tube from my second home, Newegg.com. If you live in the U.S.A and need pc parts Newegg is the only place to go. Thanks for you're replies and help. One final question, since this camextends to a140 in SLR terms, getting a 2x tele would be kinda a waste unless I used a tripod correct? Also from what I have read when you use after market lenses on these cams if makes the flash almost useless because the end of the lens is so wide it covers half the flash.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 4:41 PM   #6

Correct, unless it is VERY bright light/sunlight, you would do best with a tripod when usingtele-extender lenses.

Re the flash ... since I generally use a separate flash, I get no shadows ... but on many cameras if you use the built-in flash you can get lens shadows, depending on the location of the flash relative to the lens, with macro and wide angle/fisheye lenses and some tele-extenders.

Good luck with your new lens! I am sure you will enjoy using it ... just remember that with any macro work, depth of field is "paper thin" so-to-speak, so focusing is critical!
Old Sep 6, 2005, 5:18 PM   #7

Huh? paper thin? umm another dumb question then I'm done. So auto focus isn't what I wanna do with this thing?

Good luck with your new lens! I am sure you will enjoy using it ... just remember that with any macro work, depth of field is "paper thin" so-to-speak, so focusing is critical!

Old Sep 6, 2005, 8:07 PM   #8

The autofocus on my Sony F828 camera does notcause a problem and works quitewell, perhaps because of the method it uses to focus. To avoid vignetting using the Raynox, I set the lens to full telephoto. Nonetheless, I find I getthe bestresults by ensuring manual focus and simply leaning (or swaying, it seems!) in or out a bit, holding my breath, and tripping the shutter.

Of course, I am hand-holding the outside macroinsect shots.Not all shots are sharp or properly litbecause the insects tend to move! I have used both manual lens and shutter settings as well as fully automatic settings and each has its good and bad points.

Taking photos ofstamps or coins using a small tripod or copy stand works extremely well, as do other pre set up macro shotsusing a tripod and each shot is usually sharp and lit perfectly. However, for myself I prefer candid and serendipitous photography, so rarely do copy-stand macro (and micro) photography unless I am being paid to do a specific project.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 8:18 PM   #9

Okay then,I thank you for the speedy replies and help.

|||||||| [OS] Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2 (5.1 - 2600) :: [Memory] Usage: 558/2046MB (27.27%) [CPU] 2-Intel Pentium 4, 2793MHz, 512KB [Resolution]1024x768 32bit 75Hz [Uptime] 5d 9h 3m 44s [Drives] C:\ (135.31GB Free, 186.30GB Total) ||||||||