Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Oct 13, 2005, 9:28 AM   #1

Hi, friends.

So I recently recieved my new wide-angle lens, the Raynox .66 Pro. One of the reasons I purchased this model, along with all the recommendations it got, was that it accepts 72mm filters, which would make it compatible with the filters I already own.

But to my disappointment, I found that when I put on one of my Tiffen filters, it cleary becomes visible in the frame of the picture. Here is an example:

Is this normal? If it is, why include the threads for a filter attachment anyways?? Or is there a filter out there that is usable with this lens and does NOT protrude into the frame?

I love the wide-angle lens, and I love my polarizer filter... both of which are ideal for outdoor shots. But this outcome is frustrating.

Thanks for any input or help.
PoweredBySoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2005, 1:21 AM   #2

There are extra thin filters specially made for extreme wide angle lenses. :idea:
meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 4:32 AM   #3

I don't have a wide angle lens (it's on my wish list and I had noted the Raynox on the 'net) but with my telephoto lens I have to zoom all the way in to to maximum to prevent vignetting.

You may find that if you reduce the w/a setting the corners are OK. Alternatively perhaps a step up ring and a new wider filter. Either way not what you were hoping for.

Bill
bilzmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 10:31 AM   #4

meow wrote:
Quote:
There are extra thin filters specially made for extreme wide angle lenses. :idea:
Ugh. After looking around, I found the Tiffen 72mm polarizer made for wide angle lenses. *sigh* Another $80. Wish I would have known about this earlier.

So, anyone want to buy a slightly used, in great condition, 72mm Tiffen polarizer??
PoweredBySoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 7:14 AM   #5

Are you shure its not a lenses hood are you useing one.

D.J.
demojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 2:50 AM   #6

Pwdered by Soy,

Check out the Raynox site - vignetting is an reported event with their adapter. What I see in your picture is confusing. It seems to be vignetting on the top corners and on the bottom corners the filter ring is visible. I think it is possible that the imperfect fit of the Raynox adapter might be your problem. My understanding is that Raynox is going to offer another adapter that will work better. My 6600 works on my FZ3 without vignetting. Unfortunately, I can't tell you whether the filter ring will show up in the picture. I bought the 82mm filter so I could use the same filter on the 2020 and the 6600. When I mount the 72-82mm step up ring on the 6600 there is no sign of the filter ring in my pictures. My 82 mm filter arrives next week.

To eliminate vignetting on my FZ3 I ordered an extra sun shade hood adaptor from panasonic and adapted it to mount the 6600 and leica lens very close to each other. I did this by grinding off all of the female threads on the plastic adapter on a 4"disc grinder. Leave a little thread left and trial fit before grinding all the thread off. Too much and you might need a new adapter. (Just rest the adaptor on the flat disc and the threads are gone quickly). Then I broke the glass out of a 52mm filter. Using the disc grinder again I ground off almost all of the male threads on the filter ring. This left a shoulder that provided a surface to glue the filter ring to the adapter. Now you have a 52 mm thread to fit the 6600 lens to your camera. I used gorilla glue, it foams out and was cleaned up by scraping excess off. I lucked out because the fit was very tight. The Leica lens just clearances the modified filter ring. The camera will quit if the lens cannot fully extend when turned on. A little more grinding to allow the leica lens to clearance might be needed.

I heard about the coming Raynox adapter after I did all of this. If the Raynox still vignettes with the new adapter this mod might be of interest.
David Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 6:36 AM   #7

Don't beat me but very obviously the wide angle lens you needed was not raynox 6600pro but raynox HD7000pro which has a 82mm front thread. Of course it also implies a little less wide angle effect and another investment.

Rudolf.

PoweredBySoy wrote:
Quote:
Hi, friends.

So I recently recieved my new wide-angle lens, the Raynox .66 Pro. One of the reasons I purchased this model, along with all the recommendations it got, was that it accepts 72mm filters, which would make it compatible with the filters I already own.

But to my disappointment, I found that when I put on one of my Tiffen filters, it cleary becomes visible in the frame of the picture. Here is an example:

Is this normal? If it is, why include the threads for a filter attachment anyways?? Or is there a filter out there that is usable with this lens and does NOT protrude into the frame?

I love the wide-angle lens, and I love my polarizer filter... both of which are ideal for outdoor shots. But this outcome is frustrating.

Thanks for any input or help.
orion999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 10:56 AM   #8

Orion,

Strange recommendation, without any reasons why. Raynox doesn't recommend this lens for an FZ20. You can't easily put a filter on your recommendation- because the lens sticks out beyond the plane of the filter ring. And Powered by Soy got in his jam because he wanted a filter. Why would you recommend the 7000?

Something is also strange about Powered by Soy's picture. The filter ring is very clear in the bottom half of the picture and should also be clear in the top half. It is not it looks like vignetting not the filter rim. Raindrops or water on a lens usually show up clearly- so anything as close as the filter ring should also be clearly visible all the way around.

Once he fixes his filter problem, Soy might still face a vignetting problem.

David Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 8:37 PM   #9

I also want to use a polarizing filter with the HD-6600, but i'm reading different recommandations on the net. What to do?

Put the filter between the fz5 adapter an the HD-6600 or a 72mm in front of the HD-6600? I read that that causes vignetting.

xedrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 8:35 PM   #10

Anybody using a wide angel lens on the fz5 with a polarizing filter??
xedrox is offline   Reply With Quote