Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Oct 19, 2005, 4:47 PM   #1

I currently own a Canon EOS 620 35mm camera, and I'm interested¬* in switching to digital for a number of reasons. My questions are:1) Are my current lens's compatable?2) Will my current lens's work¬* with the Digital 20D?(From an optical, and focus point of view)3) What are the pros and cons of using these lens's?4) What do I need to do or add to any lens's I use with the 20D in order to get excellent close-up clarity? (Less than 6", but more that 2" in distance) I do technical photography, and close up clarity is extremely important.¬*I also do weddings as a hobby, so what would the recommended lens's be for use with this camera?Thanks,Len
Len2821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2005, 10:08 PM   #2

This forum is not really the place for these questions, there is a Canon DSLR lens forum as well, but here are the answers as best I can present them.

1) Are my current lens's compatable? Yes, no issues here.

2) Will my current lens's work with the Digital 20D?(From an optical, and focus point of view) Again, yes, they should work exactly as they do with your EOS 620.

3) What are the pros and cons of using these lens's? The 20D has a sensor which is smaller than a 35mm frame, therefore all of your present focal lengths must be multiplied by 1.6 in order to get the effective focal length on the 20D (therefore a 100mm lens would act like a 160mm lens). This means that you would lose your wide angle capability but gain on the telephoto end.

4) What do I need to do or add to any lens's I use with the 20D in order to get excellent close-up clarity? (Less than 6", but more that 2" in distance) The 1.6 lens factor of the 20D will give slightly better macro performance than the 620 because the image would appear magnified by 1.6 if viewed at the minimum focus distance. Other than that the same close up lenses or other hardware used with the EOS 620 should still work with the 20D.

Overall moving from the EOS 620 to the 20D should be relatively painless since the lenses and most other accessories will still work.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 10:38 PM   #3

I appreciate your reply. Your answers helped lock in my decision to purchase!!Len
Len2821 is offline   Reply With Quote