Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Oct 21, 2005, 10:52 AM   #1

I am looking for a bit of information about fish eye lenses. I'd like to try one on my digital camera (55mm threads would be best, but I can also get away with 49mm, or any size I can get an adapter for)

I see that they sometimes are sold with a macro lens, but I don't know if that's important or not. I also don't think I want one that causes too extreme a distortion, so if anyone could fill me in on what maganification to look for, that would be helpful. I also don't want too spend much on it, since it's just for fun, something new to try.

Any sample shots would be appreciated!

If anyone has one they'd like to sell, that would be cool too!

Sue
artshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2005, 6:12 AM   #2

artshot wrote:
Quote:
I am looking for a bit of information about fish eye lenses. I'd like to try one on my digital camera (55mm threads would be best, but I can also get away with 49mm, or any size I can get an adapter for)

I see that they sometimes are sold with a macro lens, but I don't know if that's important or not. I also don't think I want one that causes too extreme a distortion, so if anyone could fill me in on what maganification to look for, that would be helpful. I also don't want too spend much on it, since it's just for fun, something new to try.
Those cheap "fisheye" lenses sold with a macro (actually close-up) lens is not a fisheye lens. A more accurately term is semi-fisheye lens, an ultra wide angle lens with correction to barrel distortion. If you wish to use a real fisheye lens for 180 degree angle of view, you may wish to try the Nikon FC-E9. The Nikon FC-E9 has a 46mm thread, and a 55-46mm step-down ring is needed. See my Panasonic FZ-30 user guide for more details: http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/FZ-30 On the other hand, if you don't want too extreme distortion, you perhaps should not look for a fisheye lens. One more note. Those 0.25X or similar "semi-fisheye" lenses are not of very high image quality, and chromatic aberration (i.e., purple/green fringes) and soft to very soft edge are always possible.

CK

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700, Panasonic FZ-10 and Canon A95 User Guides

shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 12:09 PM   #3

Check out http://raynox.com/for add-on lenses. Choose your language, then camera make and model. They will show you what will work with your camera and sample photos taken with your model are usulally available. Adapters for your camera are also available.

I have had extremely good luck with their filter-thread-screw-on lenses and adapters ... in short, they work unlike many of the junkers found on e-bay (although there are many Raynox lenses available there, too). Highly reputable companies like B&H, Adorama, etc. also carry the Raynox lenses.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:16 AM   #4

Thanks, guys! It looks like these choices are a bit pricey for something I just wanted to play around with. I'll just keep searching and maybe one day I'll run across somebody whose bored enough with one they have to sell it cheap

Sue
Old Oct 28, 2005, 3:50 PM   #5

Perhaps it may be of use to you. I have a new Telephoto, Wide Angle Converter Lenses and adapter for Coolpix 5400, 5700 & 8700 Cameras posted on EBay
Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7556680423&rd= 1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1
nerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 8:08 AM   #6

Those are nice, I suppose, but incredibly expensive. I already have some excellent lenses for macro and telephoto and wideangle. I was looking just for a cheap fish-eye to play around with. Thanks anyway!

Sue