Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Oct 27, 2005, 10:01 AM   #1

I just recently purchased the Sony DSCH1.I am aware that it has a 58mm threads in the front and the telephoto lens I have is 52mm(part that would screw onto the camera) I obviously need a conversion ring( is it a 52 to a 58 or the other way around that I ask for a 58 to a 52mm)? Also, since the tele lens is smaller I'm going to assume I will have black edges, am I right in this? Is there any way I can make this work really well? Thanks!
thompson_unb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2005, 9:15 PM   #2

Step-down rings are cheap, so you won't lose much by trying, butI don't think this'll work without serious vignetting/distortion problems. Let us know.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 9:04 AM   #3

Step down rings are almost never a good idea. They will only function on the longer end of the zoom without vignetting, if even then. You're better off buying filters for your largest lens diameter lens and then buying step up rings for each of your smaller diameter lenses.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 5:01 PM   #4

I'm not sure if this would be the answer, either. Adding a smaller-diameter lens to any camerawill probably result in significant vignetting, regardless of how you attach it. A lens adapter and tele-converter designed for this specific camera is the only way to go. Even then, the converter probably won't be useful except at the long end of the zoom. At wider angles, these set-ups give a circular image inside the normal frame.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 5:14 PM   #5

It is not the rings (step-up or step-down) that could cause problem. The trouble maker is he exit pupil of the converter lens. A Panasonic FZ-10/20/30 can use 49mm threaded converter lenses (e.g., KM ACT-100). In other words, as long as the rear glass element of the converter lens is large enough, even though is smaller than the front glass element of the camera lens, you can still use the converter without problem. See my FZ-10 and FZ-30 user guide for more details. Note that wide angle converters would be a different story.

CK

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700, Panasonic FZ10 and Canon A95 User Guides

shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 2:02 AM   #6

I had the experience I described with a Canon A75 with a Canon lens adapter and 1.7X teleconverter.You'd think that because these pieces were supposedly designed to work together the results would reflect that - NOT! Not only were the pictures almost unusable because of distortion and color fringing, but for what these two parts cost plus the cost of the A75 when I bought it, I could havegotten a decent ultrazoom.

If you want a long zoom capability, don't bother trying to adapt a camera with a 3 or 4X zoom - the results, not to mention the hassle, just won't be worth the cost.

Old Nov 27, 2005, 6:47 AM   #7

toshi43 wrote:
Quote:
If you want a long zoom capability, don't bother trying to adapt a camera with a 3 or 4X zoom - the results, not to mention the hassle, just won't be worth the cost.
It is not always the case and please don't generlize. The A75 and A80/A95 are small lens cameras and can indeed use 3X telephoto lenses. In fact, the poor quality of an image in many cases is due to the poor quality of the teleconverter lens. The image quality would be much better if a high quality 2X or 3X teleconverter is used. The following shows the center 600x600 100% crop (top) and right edge 600x600 100% crop (bottom) taken with a A95 and a Nikon TC-E3ED 3X teleconverter lens. It is not difficult to see how sharp the image is.

The next shows the result of a Canon A95 plus a CrystalVue 8X. The image was resized and slightly sharpened. Is it poor? No, not at all.

So, the key is basically the quality of the converter. I don't have a A75 and could not comment on how to use the above mentioned lenses on it. For the adapter tubes and step rings for A95, please see my Canon A95 Info Page available here: http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...A95/index.html It is incomplete; but, should be good enough.

CK

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700, Panasonic FZ-30 and Canon A95 User Guides

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam

shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 2:00 PM   #8

The teleconverter lens I used was a Canon model specifically for the A75. Maybe I just got a bad one, but I was put off by the experience. Not only did I get poor pictures with it, but it was only usable at the 'long' end of the A75's 3X zoom. It was also way too inconvenient to use. I now have a Fuji S5200 with a 10X zoom - far, far better.

Old Nov 27, 2005, 8:30 PM   #9

Another point to remember - flash shadows can be caused by compact-camera flashes being mounted too close to the lens barrel when adapters/converters are attached.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 11:50 PM   #10

you are all correct......here's my two cents for what it's worth

I used several teleconverters on an olympus c-3040...a verybig lens by digital camera standards....so I knew anything I used could only be used at the full 3x or vignetting would result (unless I wanted to spend for a very large and expensive converter). I tried a generic TUNDRA brand 2x.....too much purple fringing and soft at the edges....but you get what you pay for ($20)....then I tried the olympus 1.45x...wow! what a difference...very sharp...now I now this may sound ridiculous but boy is it an ugly lens...looks like a black megaphone on the camera...oh well...

I also wish some company made extension tubes that looked like a lens...sort of a faux look...maybe a barrel with a fake zoom ring...just a thought...

anyway I am going to try again...Ijust bought an olympus c-5000...great camera...if you use it right (a flash on the hotshoe is a must....I'm using the olympus fl-20, then you can set it at it's low 50 iso, then turn down the sharpness and contrast and you get an incredible image free of grain that the higher iso's seem to produce on this model)...I have only had it a week and I bought a used/demo for $150 from a canadien dealer (I live in Florida)...

I once tried a Kenko 2x a while back on my 3040 in his store....too expensive from the dealer...$129.....I passed.....but I just purchased on a ebay a kenko 2x and a .5 and the extension tube for $19.95 on ebay so at least if the lens is junk...I'll have the tube for my c-5000 for a polarizing filter

I'll post the my thoughts and some photos with this camera...when the sun comes back...It's been dark and dreary here the past couple of days...yes, we do get a few cloudy days here

anyway, if you are curious...the link of theconverters andextension tube thatI bought is below

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...romZR40QQfviZ1

gregg

ps...of course you can get some interesting photos with the vignetting...I took the one below with my 3040

Attached Images

gregg is offline   Reply With Quote