Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Oct 30, 2005, 8:50 AM   #1

Hello,
I am new to photography and recently purchased a Kodak DX6490. I have become quite interested in taking macro shots. I've read several articles in which the lens is reversed to get even closer.I purchased a filter adapter for my camera which has a 52mm thread.I also purchased a reversing ring with 52mm male threads on both sides.I'm not real sure what kind of lens I need. Does my camera havingmacro capability negate my being able to put a reversed lens on it? Any help would be great!!
Thanks, Wayne

waynespixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2005, 4:30 PM   #2

See this long thread for the lens reversal technique: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=50 It only touches upon the technical issuesrather than photographic techniques. More details can be found on my Canon A95 Info Page: http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam

Since you have had a 52-52mm macro coupler, what you need is a good SLR lens, normally and preferably a 55mm. If you use a 49mm normal lens, step rings will be needed. Normally, the SLR lens is used wide open to get more light. Of course, you may stop down the normal lens a little; however, in doing so could get you vignetting. Some normal lens may not be flat field, which means the image could be soft to very soft off-center. Good normal lenses are usually not expensive. For example, a gray marketNikon 50mm f/1.8 is about $100 and could be cheaper on eBay.

CK
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 4:34 PM   #3

Before you spend lots of money, try adapting an objective lens from a pair of garage sale binoculars. Here are some samples. When you get to the macro pictures, be sure to click on 'original'. -

http://www.pbase.com/embe/canon_s1_is

<A HREF-"http://www.pbase.com/embe/canon_s1_is"/A>Or click here
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 4:54 PM   #4

Hi,

So what I need to do is find a SLR 55mm lens that has a 52mm filter end correct? Also is the f1.8 important or could it be different?

Wayne
waynespixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 5:37 PM   #5

waynespixels wrote:
Quote:
So what I need to do is find a SLR 55mm lens that has a 52mm filter end correct? Also is the f1.8 important or could it be different?
Any SLR lens in the normal range (i.e., 45-60mm) can be used. Wider than 45mm can cause vignetting/light fall-off, depending on the camera being used (I don't have the same camera you have). Longer focal length will reduce magnification. The f/1.8 is not significant; however, if the maximum aperture is smaller than, say f/2, vignetting can occur. It also depends on your camera lens rather than the SLR reversed lens. You may find some used manual 50mm lens, even f/1.4,on eBay very cheap. BTW, AF is required because you will move the camera for focusing. As a result, lens reversal technique is not very feasible for shooting small subjects.

One thing should be kept in mind is thatfocusing distance is very very short. Usually, the working distance, the distance from your subject to the rear of the reversed lens, is approximately the focal length of the reversed lens. So, if you need a longer working distance, you will need a longer focal length lens, which will increase the chance of vignetting, again depending on your camera lens.

Whether the lens thread is 52mm usually does not better, you may use 49mm to 55mm with just one step ring.

CK

shene is offline   Reply With Quote