Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Feb 14, 2003, 10:52 AM   #1

Default olympus tele

is there a 3X tele for the olympus c-series that is of an olympus lens quality?
I am looking for something like that and don't know if its out there.
Thanks a mil...
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2003, 12:23 PM   #2

geof

I looked for a telephoto lens at that power and was never able to find one that worked well with the Olympus cameras.

The Olympus B300 is a 1.7 telephoto for the Olympus cameras. Check the Ebay link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=30016

I purhcase the Raynox Pro1850 a 1.85X and am happy with the results. www2filter.com sells this lens with the adapter tube. I have the Kenko 41mm to 52mm adapter tube.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 12:04 AM   #3

The Olympus TCON-300 (3x) about $550 new - will "work" with some of the C series cameras, but you would have to fabricate a mount for it.

Let me explain. The TCON-300 doesn't have threads on the ocular side like most tele lenses. It was made specifically for the E10/E20 and comes with a mount specific to these two cameras. The way it mounts is by means of a connecting brace which screws to a sole plate attached to the lens and to the E10/E20's tripod mount on the other side. The lens is held about .020 from the objective lens of the camera. A replacement tripod mount resides on the bottom of the connecting brace.

The lens is of the highest optical quality, but you must adjust it independently of the camera (like the Eagle Eye OpticZoom 5x or CrystalVue 8x, etc.

It will cost approximately another $100 in engineering and machine shop time to fabricate a mount unless you are a skilled machinist and have access to an optical comparitor. This, plus the cost of the TCON-300 itself will exceed the cost of the camers. In addition, you must zoom the camera all the way in and will still probably have a degree of vignetting (darkening of the corners of the image) depending on the individual camera being used.

Some of the Cxxxx Olympus cameras will work with the Eagle Eye OpticZoom 5x at full zoom. Check the Eagle Eye site for more information and compatibility at:

http://www.eagleeyeuk.com

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 12:45 PM   #4

geof,

Sounds like you trying to get to much out of that C-5050 :lol: I picked up the Kenko VC-200Hi 2X Tele for around $100 bucks from a local camera store for my C-5050.Seems OK for my needs but I don't know if it would be up to the task for you.I have a tough time picking faults with photos unless they are really out of wack.
Comes with 49mm thread so you will have to bump up or down to your size.I forget what size adaptors came with it.

My $.02

Ray

D490Z,C-5050
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2003, 9:50 AM   #5

Thank you for the replies....
Lin, I did not intend to use a non-compatible lens with the 5050, as it will create problems beyond the mechanical attachment: CA, BD, Difraction and surfacebounce flare between the reaer element and objective surface will be there ( I know i tried attaching a medium format NIKON lens in front of my C-3000.
Easy Ray, I tried the Tiffen 2X Megaplus and have not been satisfied with it.
I was reffering to lenses of Olympus QUALITY, but not necessarily olympus make: I think I saw nikon digital lenses at 3X for their cameras, and was asking if anyone knows of a good quality lens by others that would fit and work with the 5050.
Thanks for the input, and I will still be looking.... I will let everyone know if I find something.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 10:20 AM   #6

Hi Geof,

Unfortunately there are no 3x lenses other than the TCON-300 which will work with your camera.

Only Nikon (TC-E3) and Olympus (TCON-300) make a 3x. Kenko has a 3x, but it's not worth wasting your time with. Obviously the Nikon lens won't work because it's made for a 28mm filter thread (I have it and use it). The TCON-300 will work, but like I said, you would have to fabricate a mount for it and that's both expensive and awkward - I know - I use the TCON-300 with my E10, Sony DSC-F707, Olympus C2100UZ and E-100RS, and my Fuji S602Z.

Here's a shot of it connected to my F707 with the Olympus B-300 mounted in front of the TCON-300. The mount is one I fabricated to fit all except the E10.

Lin

Old Feb 19, 2003, 2:02 PM   #7

Thanks Lin,
I was hoping there was something out there...
Oh well...there is allways TIFF and cropping I guess.
Thanks again.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 5:22 PM   #8

Lin,

I have to ask... What is that tripod and head you are using (I realize you made the "mounting plate" (is that the right term?)) I assume you got the level to stich shots together?

Tha sure is a large lens on that thing!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2003, 5:46 PM   #9

Hi Eric,

It's a Manfrotto 3221W tripod with a Bogen 3057 head. The lens is actually an Olympus TCON-300 (3x) with an Olympus B-300 (1.7x) stacked on the front end.

Best regards,

Lin