Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Nov 5, 2005, 6:38 AM   #1

hey guys
i am looking at getting me a polarising filter. I have seen some before and after shots online and i gota have one. I hear there is a linear version and a circular.

I have been recomended to get a circular bcse my cam is digital does this sound right. also i am looking at a HAMA CIRCULAR POLARIZER FILTER 55MM HAZE

is this a good brand and its selling brand new for $79 NZD

good deal??

Or can u recomend another brand or place i can get em cheaper, remember im at the bottom of the globe so shipping is usually more than the item :?

Thanks

KEN
aucks NZ

Ohh yea i have pana fz30 with 55mm thread with a UV filter already on it. cani put the polarizing filter ontop of this one and use both?

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2005, 6:49 AM   #2

The decision on using a linear (PL) or circular polarizer (CPL) basically depends on the focus mechanism. Normally PL is recommended ONLY when you purely using MANUAL FOCUSSING and use CPL for all autofocus cameras because the linear polarizing property of PL could interfere with the contrast detection Auto Focus algorithm within modern AF cameras in some way.

I wonder HAMA does not have their factory and only marking their brandname on cheap optical equipments (correct me if I'm wrong). Sincea polarizer adds 2 optical elements and at least 4 reflective surfaces in front of your camera, better get one with decent anti-reflection coating. Try to look for more popular brands like Hoya coated/HMC (Hoya-Multi-Coated) or Kenko coated/multi-coated versions.

Rudolf.

kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
hey guys
i am looking at getting me a polarising filter. I have seen some before and after shots online and i gota have one. I hear there is a linear version and a circular.

I have been recomended to get a circular bcse my cam is digital does this sound right. also i am looking at a HAMA CIRCULAR POLARIZER FILTER 55MM HAZE

is this a good brand and its selling brand new for $79 NZD

good deal??

Or can u recomend another brand or place i can get em cheaper, remember im at the bottom of the globe so shipping is usually more than the item :?

Thanks

KEN
aucks NZ

Ohh yea i have pana fz30 with 55mm thread

orion999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 6:52 AM   #3

hey thanks man

ur on fire with this filter business

thanks your a big help

cheers
Old Nov 5, 2005, 6:55 AM   #4

Interesting though, I would like to suggest a shop I ever purchase from many times but is nearer to you (suppose to be, as I am in Hong Kong:-)):

http://www.photo.co.nz/newprods/newhoya.htm

Nice shop and nice guys. See if it helps! :lol:

Rudolf.
orion999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 11:50 PM   #5

thanks mate

yea they are cheaper than my local shop

i will look into it

thanks for all your help
Old Nov 6, 2005, 9:26 AM   #6

In addition to what orion999 said, I'd strongly avoid mounting a polarizing filter on top of a UV or other. Most lenses are designed with pretty critical dimensions to barely avoid vignetting at wide angles, so the addition of a single filter can cause darkening of the corners. With two, it's almost a given. Take off the UV filter and use the polarizer alone. At very least, look closely at the corners before you snap the shutter. Remember also that the sharpest effects of a polarizer are achieved at 90 degree angles from the sun. That means that if you make your hand into a gun shape (forefinger pointing out, thumb sticking up), and point your finger at the sun, the strongest effects will be achieved when your camera is pointed along the arc described by the thumb as it rotates around the forefinger axis. In other words, if the sun is directly behind you or in front of you, you will experience little good from the the polarizer; you'll get the best results if the sun is to your side, etc.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 2:48 PM   #7

so when i get this filter cani just leave it on the camera perminantly for outdoor, indoor night shots etc, or is it only used for outdoors

also i have a uv filter is can i use this for all my shots as well

do these filters (polar or uv) effect the exposure for indoor shots?

thnks
Old Nov 6, 2005, 8:47 PM   #8

You don't want to leave a polarizer on all the time. Polarizers reduce the amount of light entering the lens, usually by at least 2 stops. I would only use it or any other filter when the effect it produces is desired.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 4:26 PM   #9

Ken--hope this is not too late. Buy a Linear PL and save some $$.

There have beena number of discussion posts here and on other forums, plus FAQ websites, for which type of PL to use with Pana FZs. Basically aLinear PL filter works fine with allFZs including your FZ30. And it's about 1/3 the price.

It's a continuing myth that you need Circular for allAF cameras. Not true! You need them for AF SLR ordSLRs that have optical viewfinders.FZs do not.I've been using a Linear PL for years, first with MF SLRsand then with FZ3 and FZ5 with good results.

For a detailed explanation of why, see: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=10222005

I agree with the other posts re techniques etc--don't stack the filters (possible vignetting), don't need to keep on all the time, and yes they will reduce incoming light by at least 2 F-stops, so for low light conditions use only when you need to remove glare or reflections.

Hope you're enjoying your FZ!

pmjwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:43 PM   #10

Ask just about any camera dealer, and they'll tell you a linear PL won'twork on a digital camera. I did a bit of research to be sure. It turns out that any camera with a contrast-detection auto-focus system will work just fine with a linear PL, and that includes just about every non-DSLR out there. I found an unopened older Optex linear PL for $1.99 at the London Drugs camera dept. and it worksgreat on my Fuji S5200. Sure beats spending 60 bucks on something I didn't need in the first place.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote