Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Nov 26, 2005, 10:18 PM   #1

It may be a a little early to get any practical/hands-on feedback onthe SP-350, but, after a lot of research and consideration,I have ordered one for my 20-year old daughter for Christmas. I have ordered a512MB xD card, aMaha 401 charger, and 2500 mAh NiMH batteries to get her up and running pretty well right out of the gate.

I want to also provide her with a filter adapter and UV protector - anything (external flash, telephoto, wide angle lenses, etc.)beyond that is on her nickel as she feels the need. And that leads to my question. My choices for filter adapter are the Oly CLA-9 (55mm filter thread), or the Sakar (52mm thread). I have read earlier threads in which it seemed to be the concensus that the Digital Optics telephoto and wide angle lenses are, in general, not very good - they would use the 52mm thread (Sakar) adapter. Oly lenses seem to have some respect here - they of course use the 55mm threads of the Oly adapter. So from that perspective, it seems to be clear to go with the Oly adapter and a 55mm filter/protector so that that money is not wasted should she get the (preferred) Oly tele and wide angle lenses later.

My question is: The (smaller) Sakar adapter would be better fromvignette'ing standpoint. I'm just wonderinghow muchthe (larger) CLA-9 adapterwill be castingshadowsfrom the built-in flash on close-in shots. Anyone have experience with the SP-350 and CLA-9 in this regard? I'm hoping it won't be enough of a problem to warrant serious consideration of the Sakar adapter.

Any comments appreciated.
Peva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2005, 8:14 PM   #2

Just to followup to my own question - to save others from needless expense/worry:

(1) The SP-350 camera lens totally retracts at power off, and the lens has hidden fingers that totally cover the lens like an iris - so no lens protector is needed (realized this after actually taking delivery of the camera - glad I looked before leaping).

(2) The CLA-9 lens adapter is essentially usable for attaching the Oly telephoto and wide angle lenses. The lens end thread is 55mm, but it will not accept a standard 55mm filter (odd pitch or other design detail in the way - not sure). I wish to thank B&H Photo for telling me that information in response to my e-mail inquiry when I asked them what the thread diameter was so I knew what size filter/protector to buy to go on the CLA-9 and the SP-350. What a refreshing experience dealing with them. (I did buy the xD card from them - didn't mind at all giving them my business after they talked me out of buying something that would have been a waste of money.)

**EDIT** Ignore everything I said in (2) above. I was mixing up the TCON and WCON lenses for the SP-350 and for the SP-500 - the former takes the TCON-17*F* amd WCON-07*F*;the latter takes the TCON-17[no suffix] and WCON-17[no suffix]. The F-suffix means a 34mm thread, no suffix means 55mm thread - I had previously failed to recognize the suffix and thread difference available for the Oly lenses - I was thinking there was only one type of TCON and one type of WCON, all with 55mm threads. :? I'm Ok now!

Peva is offline   Reply With Quote