Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Nov 27, 2005, 11:01 PM   #1

For those of you that are of the Canadian persuassion and have ordered products from B&H can you answer me a simple question:

Can I expect to pay many $$$ in duty charges for the products that I order? My bill will most likely be in the $200 - $300 range and I don't want to be stuck with astronomical duty charges... I'm pretty sure that they DON'T use UPS so that is good (lying, cheating, money grubbing bastards)... but Canadia n duty charges may be incurred regardless...

I'll be saving over $100 if order from B&H over Henry's Photo or any other camera shop that I know about... anyone have any suggestions on Canadian retailers that are on par with B&H?

ps - i know that was not a simple question... mine never are...
hitmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2005, 9:07 AM   #2

I am not sure what type of product you are thinking of shipping from the US but you are certainly going to be charged the 15% sales tax plus some brokerage fees.
This is on top of the companies shipping fees.

I only buy from the US. as a last resort.
I have dealt with softmagic.ca out of Quebec a number of times, my last camera came from them and found them very good to deal with. Plus if you are in a different province there is no sales tax which has to be a bonus.
limeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 9:23 AM   #3

i'm wanting to pick up a UV, linear polarizer, nikon 4t close up lens and a hama lens hood for my new Pana FZ30... so all together i'm looking at about $200-$250 CAD... they quoted like $27 in shipping...

Thanks for the tip, but i'm not sure if they have what i need...

Nigel
hitmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:54 PM   #4

If it's over C$50 you will definately be paying customs and excise no ifs or buts unless you're a business and can get it back.

If angers me but thems the breaks.

nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 11:43 PM   #5

I have found it hit and miss with the duties. For my TCON-17, I paid no duty. For my Bogen 488RC4, I got dinged, but I did choose rush shipping so maybe that is why, they figured I "really" needed it.
polar905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 12:06 AM   #6

I ordered a tonneau cover from the states and you have to pay duty, gst and brokerage fees(tax from that state also?). It may be cheaper to get it here depending. I had to pay since no one sold my cover here but if the camera parts you need are sold here?
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:14 AM   #7

You will get nailed for GST, PST, brokerage and shipping.
On my last big order from the US I had to fork over 700$ cash to the UPS man when my studio lights came in.

BTW I think UPS has about the highest brokerage fee I have ever seen!
Won't be using them again any time soon to cross the border.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:17 AM   #8
JKA

You will have to pay GST for theitem order plus Canada Custom Service charge (6-7 dollars). It is not much at all.

It is cheaper to order multiple items from B&H. They only charge shipping for the first item and you will be saving on the Canada Custom Service Charge. The srvice charge is per order not by item.

I hope this will help.

Good luck!

JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 1:18 PM   #9

Digital Cameras and Lenses are duty free. Check out this site:

http://www.aacb.com/tools/dutytax.asp it will give you an idea of costs. I just purchased a Nikon D50 from Camereta and it was sent USPS $52 US delivered in 3 days.

Canada Post charged me duty (error) but there is a form on the back where you can apply for a refund.

It is important that the documentation on the package is clear as to contents to determine if dutiable. I confirmed with Customs that I should not have been charged Duty. CP charged me $8 CAD service fee.

Dispoable cameras on the other hand are subject to duty.

I saved $200 CAD after shipping and GST and PST.
jimwho? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 1:18 PM   #10

Claim a refund.
jimwho? is offline   Reply With Quote