Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:57 AM   #1

Default Question with Raynox DCR-250 macro lens

I am looking for a macro lense for my Fuji 5200 digital camera. It has a 55mm thread lense on it. I am new to camera so I dont know what brand to trust but a lot of people say Raynox are good lense. I realized that there are not many lense that fits a 55mm thread unless if it is universal or kockoff.

The one that I did find was the raynox dcr-250 for about $60 at bhphotovideo.com
Since I cant post a link to it I will type what it says because I have a question with that statement.

"The DCR-250 Super Macro lense obtains the maximum macro magification power with the camera lense SET AT THE MOST TELEPHOTO ZOOM POSISTION......"

Does that mean that the only way the lense will work at its best or work at all if I have the lense ZOOMED all the way out to 10x? Will it work if I am up close to the subject, or do I have to be far away?

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2005, 4:21 AM   #2

I use a DCR250 on a Canon S1 IS. Yes, works best with the lens zoomed out. It will focus close in with the lens at wide angle, but your depth of focus is tiny. At full zoom you will probably be working several inches to maybe 9 inches out from the subject. It makes it easier to get a good orientation to the subject and also is a better distance if you use the flash.

It is a strange lens and has taken a lot of patience to get used to. Any macro that is an add-on is going to be like that. I have taken a few good photos with it, but don't take it out of the case as often as I thought I would.
sedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:34 AM   #3

If you dont mind can you post up some pictures of what you took, I know its a different camera then what I have.

Also is this lense considered "high quality" or something in the mid range area? When you say "it will focus on wide angle but depth of feild would be tiny". Do do you mean buy that? Do you mean the subject would be clear but the background would be blurr? Also if you dont mind can you take some pictures of that to show me what you mean?

Thanks
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:15 AM   #4

superakuma,

I have the DCR-250 lens and have not yet mastered it. If you hop over to the panasonic forum and do a quick search you will find a lot of examples and discussion about this lens. It is VERY powerful and takes some work to use it well. I also have the DCR-150 a +4 lens from raynox and love it. It is still powerful but much easier to use. The olympus and nikon macro lens often get good reviews from the panasonic crowd.

With my FZ3, also 55mm filter, I need to zoom out to at least 4x-5x before the vignette goes away. Spend some time looking at the work over in the other forum and I think you will be able to make a good choice.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 1:36 AM   #5

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
"The DCR-250 Super Macro lense obtains the maximum macro magification power with the camera lense SET AT THE MOST TELEPHOTO ZOOM POSISTION......"

Does that mean that the only way the lense will work at its best or work at all if I have the lense ZOOMED all the way out to 10x? Will it work if I am up close to the subject, or do I have to be far away?
That means you will get the maximum magnification (i.e., the largest image of your subject at the same shooting distance). Please see my Canon A95 Info Page for more details on close-up lenses. BTW, this is only about "magnification", and there is nothing to do with the image quality. To get the best image quality, one should not zoom the lens in too much; however, the drawback is the size of the subject is smaller. There is no free lunch!

CK

Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700, Panasonic FZ-10 and Canon A95 User Guides

shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 1:37 PM   #6

superakuma,

You can check here http://dpdomain.com/forum/showthread...hlight=dcr-250to see several photos taken with the DCR-250. It is a fine lens and performs as advertised. I have it and have no complaints. The multi-thread-size adapter that ships with it makes it usable on my film SLRs as well as several digital cameras, including the F828 I always carry with me.

Also this thread here on Steve's forums may help: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...369136#p369136

Henry
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 12:31 AM   #7

I just put the order in for this lense, bought it at bhphoto.com for $64.xx shipped. I know its like $10 more then ebay price but I got burned from ebay before from a trusted seller and I dont want the same thing to happen. I cant wait to get the lense and try it out. I have some sort of fetish with taking macro picture or something. :?
Old May 17, 2006, 3:51 PM   #8

Hi.
I use this lens together with my S1 IS.
As said it takes a while to master and as you can see atmy pictures I'm still trying to do so.

http://www.blueskypilot.dk/photos.html
Henrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 4:15 PM   #9

I have an older Kokak DC4800 with optional closeup lenses, and they are essential to get in REAL close and still have control over depth of field (focus depth). I just purchased a Canon A620, and will be looking into getting the closeup lens for this also. My wife and I want to be able to take full frame shots of flowers to print in poster size for display in the house. Here is a sample of one I took recently of a tulip with the DC4800;

http://webpages.charter.net/yooperfo...%20800x600.jpg

I'm glad this forum and others like it are available to share and gather ideas, because I know I don't know it all yet.

yooperguy

MrSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:27 PM   #10

I bought this Raynox DCR-250 and use it with my Fujifilm HS10. I've tried several other cheap add-on conversion lens and close-up filters previously and all I can say is that this Raynox DCR-250 is better than the others.

It's wonderful to use it with telephoto or long zoom lens/camera coz you can zoom all the way and get a bigger size of the insects.

Even so, you need some patient to learn and get used to this lens, it takes me a while to completely understand on how to use it.

In fact the reason you want to get this lens is simply becoz u want to make the best use of your telephoto lens.... at wide angle, I'm not really sure about it - coz I always use telephoto zoom when I do my insects macro shoot. It's never easy to get so close to a fly or butterfly.

You can check out my amateur review on this lens here =

http://www.shewsbury.com/2010/07/ray...acro-lens.html

I'm also just a beginner in Macro photography, so please don't ask me any of those difficult technical questions coz I my self still in the learning process....
shewsbury is offline   Reply With Quote