Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Mar 17, 2003, 5:44 AM   #1

Default 35mm Lenses that work on Digital Cameras

Gidday all,
Could you please advise any Digital Cameras that can use existing [35mm flim Cameras] Lenses. If so do they attach directly or need adapters.
I heard there are new model digital cameras coming out soon that will be able to use these Lenses, but i cannot find any info.
Thanks Jasvall :?:
jasvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2003, 11:12 AM   #2

What you're talking about is called a Digital Single Lens Reflex, or DSLR camera. They're available, though on the high end, cost-wise. Look at some of the reciews on this web site.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2003, 11:26 AM   #3

first who's optics are you interested in or own?

current Dslr crop:
nikon- nikon mount
canon- canon mount
sigma- sigma mount
contax-contax mount
pentax- coming soon to a camera shop near you
fuji- using nikon mount
kodak- using nikon mount and 1 using the canon mount
4/3 system- TBA*(i think this is what your refering to)

* http://www.four-thirds.com/index_01.htm

prices range from approx $1500US to $8000US body only
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2003, 8:12 PM   #4

Thanks for info.

I have recently bought a Canon G3 which im very happy with. My inquiry is for my mother who may be interested in getting into digital. She has many Lenses (mainly Minolta) Her latest Lense is a Minolta Macro 100mm (D), shes been told by someone the (D) stands for [it can work on digital cameras] like the Minolta Dimage 7 Hi. but the Minolta website does not specify it works on Digital Cameras.
Shes worried about getting into Digital if all her exspensive Accessories (ie; Lenses, external flash , etc do not work, and she has to buy new digital replacements).
jasvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2003, 10:33 PM   #5

i own a dimage 7Hi. it has a non removable 35mm equivelent lens ranging from 28-200mm f2.8-3.5. it is a camera i enjoy using because it acts so much like a slr.

minolta as of yet has not chose to release a Dslr system.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 12:59 AM   #6

jasvall

If you could tell us what type of film camera body she has that would confirm what sjms is saying. I know nothing about Minolta's film cameras... so I assume that they have invented their own lens mount and that is why sjms says that there is no digital SLR to match those lenses.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2003, 6:13 AM   #7
NHL

Quote:
She has many Lenses (mainly Minolta) Her latest Lense is a Minolta Macro 100mm (D), shes been told by someone the (D) stands for [it can work on digital cameras]
The (D) in Minolta lenses are in this case like the newer Nikon lenses (or Canon lenses which always have this feature) are the lenses integral internal's ROM IC and electrical interface used to transfer the lenses infos to the camera bodies such as distance (or others) to offer better exposures.

ADI flash for example is determined by the camera by just not using overall exposure info, but the distance measured by the lens is integrated into it as well! The D7's built-in lens already have this feature. IMO the dealers are referring to the Minolta's film SLR's and is used by the bodies along with their companion HS3600(D) and HS5600(D) digital flashes... 8)

http://www.minoltausa.com/eprise/mai...name=&mDetail=
Quote:
Distance Encoding - Distance encoding with new and revised D lenses provides refined multi-segment metering for manual focus operation and depth-of-field display on Navigation Display with the Maxxum 7 as well as ADI flash functions when the new 5600(D) and 3600(D) flashes.
Also notice how crazy this Co. is http://www.photim.com/Infos/UneInfo.asp?N=825 Why release theses super expensive G series APOs now unless they know something we don't? Aren't film cameras suppose to be on their final death beds...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 10:35 AM   #8

Not to "confuse" the issue intentionally, but Minolta did build a dSLR a few years ago (RD-300), but it had it's own set of lenses. It was not a resounding success, but was quite innovative by using two "stitched" sensors at 1.5 megapixel each.

Here's a link to Steve's review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/rd3000.html

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 10:42 AM   #9

your right. but then again i think minolta would like to put that one behind them. it was very innovative but sold like a freezer in the arctic.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 10:55 AM   #10

Yes, but it wasn't entirely their fault. It wasn't all that bad a camera, but it was trying to capture a market segment which didn't exist!

At the time, the only removable lens dSLR's were the Kodak's built on Nikon F5 frames. The DCS-560 (Canon mount) and DCS-660 (Nikon mount) were six megapixel and the lower resolution Kodaks were still way ahead of the Minolta in professional level features. The prices of the Kodaks were hovering around $14,000 when Minolta introduced this camera. The lower end of the pro market was served by the Sony DCS-D770/DKC-FP3 (1.5 megapixel) and there really wasn't a "mid-range."

Minolta apparently thought that at a $4000 (aprox) break, they might take a share of the Sony DKC-FP3 ($2700) or DSC-D770 ($1899) market. The problem was that this market share was really small anyway, and most of us in the business who were using the FP3 or 770 in our businesses also owned one of the Kodak higher resolution cameras.

As you say, it didn't go over and will end up being just a footnote in history.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote