Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Mar 18, 2003, 1:09 AM   #1

Default Can I put polarizer filter in between two sets of lens?

I'd like to buy tele & wide angle lens for my Olympus C5050. I already got a circular polarizer filter (46mm). Just wondering whether I can put those add-on lens (with 46mm rear mount) on polarizer filter or not. Will that affect polarizer filter? I guess rotating the whole add-on lense may be little bit uncomfortable. But as long as polarizer filter still words, this may not be a bad idea. Anybody can give me some suggestion? Thanks.
ycbcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2003, 1:28 AM   #2

Default Re: Can I put polarizer filter in between two sets of lens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycbcr
whether I can put those add-on lens (with 46mm rear mount) on polarizer filter or not. Will that affect polarizer filter?
In theory, you can do it. In reality, better don't do it. An add-on lens that is designed for a particular camera may have already taken the space between the front glass element of the lens and the rear glass element into consideration. If you have a polarizer between the camera lens and the add-on lens, you increase this space which could reduce the image quality (because it is not part of the optical equation when the lenses were designed). Put your polarizer in front of your add-on lens.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2003, 11:31 AM   #3

CK is right on target. Place you polarize filter on the outside of the additional lens.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2003, 1:47 PM   #4

the added space will only limit your focusing extrtemes (at the worst) which you can compansate for mostly. The biggest problem will be that the coating in the filters will reflect a lot of light to the inside of the added lens, hense uncontrollable scattering. I tried it with my 2X and it created havoc.
tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 1:53 AM   #5

Thanks for all comments and help. I decide to buy the original olympus 1.45X teleconvertor first. Try to see how bad the result would be
ycbcr is offline   Reply With Quote