Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jan 31, 2006, 1:22 PM   #1

I have read several posts on the poor quality of the Panasonic plastic adaptor, and although new to the FZ5, I had a TCON 17 from my Olympus 3020z, which I wanted to attach to my FZ5, here is how I did it.
Get a UV filter, I used a Kood 55mm one, get a roll of PTFE (plumbers tape) the UV will give you a metal thread of 55mm. Cut a thin strip of the tape, and wrap about 3 to 4 turns tightly around the Uv filters metal threads, and screw it into the Panasonic plastic adaptor until it starts to get tight, then screw the TCON17 into the UV thteads until it goes tight, allow the TCON to turn the UV into the plastic adaptor about another 1/8th of a turn, and there you have it. Now you can remove the TCON easily without removing the UV, this will make sure you are not repeatedly screwing things into a flimsy plastic thread, that will eventually get stripped, also the UV will protect your expensive lens.
The proof of the pudding ! I was more than satisfied with the results of this simple attachment, and although there are similar threads (no pun intended) on this site, it is the PTFE Tape that makes this DIY job work. The attached small photo is a tanker in Portland harbour (UK) distance approx 1 and 1/4 miles, the FZ5 was hand held. I should be pleased to e mail full size pic to anyone interested, and a couple of other pics to demonstrate the results. I realise that some professional shooters may find fault with the result, but I am happy, and thats all that counts ! My plastic adaptor remains intact and un blemished.
regards.
Chris.
Attached Images

slightlyoffcentre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2006, 8:13 AM   #2

slightlyoffcentre wrote:
Quote:
I realise that some professional shooters may find fault with the result, but I am happy, and thats all that counts ! My plastic adaptor remains intact and un blemished.
regards.
Chris.
Excellent work Chris - i sanded mine down till the Tcon fitted but yours sounds a much better idea.The adapter is a brilliant design but it is very flimsy as you say.

Cheers Dom
roxydog is offline   Reply With Quote