Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Feb 6, 2006, 1:21 AM   #1

Is it better to attach the Olympus TCON-17 with its 55 mm thread straight into the 55 mm thread of the FZZ30, rather than leaving a Hoya UV filter in place and then screwing the TCON-17 into that? Or does it not matter?

All three items use metal threads, I assume (I haven't got the TCON-17 yet so I haven't seen it).
Peter_with_digicam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2006, 3:27 PM   #2

I don't know enough about lens design to say whether the extra stand-off will affect the performance of the lens if you leave the UV filter on, but the general purpose of a UV filter on a digital camera is to protect the front lens element. Digital sensors are not as sensitive to UV as film is, so you shouldn't realise much benefit from the filter as a UV filter. My main take on the whole thing is that leaving the filter on just introduces another piece of glass in between your subject and the sensor to reduce the quality of the captured image. If the Tcon-17 allows filter attachments and you want to keep the filter on, put it on in front of the converter. At least then it will be protecting the front element of the Tcon.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 3:39 PM   #3

Thanks for your comments. I agree that the UV is there merely for lens protection, certainly in my case. I have a feeling that the TCON-17 may not have any thread for attachments at the front anyway, but I may be wrong.

The purpose of my question was really to assess whether there would be any problem in leaving the UV in place before attaching the TCON-17, simply to avoid having to screw the filter off and on too many times, and thus increasing wear in due course. But then again, I don't imagine I'll be using the TCON-17 that often.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 3:00 AM   #4

Hi Pete

I have the Tcon and S2 ,FZ5 .The standoff won't affect anything and the only time anything happened with the UV sandwiched was taking a shot of the moon - it gave a ghost reflection of the moon in all the pics i took.Didn't notice anthing in daylight though.

There are no threads on the front and the inside diameter is about 76.5mm.I think i read somewheresome people have epoxyed a thread of an old filter there-but you would need an enormous and expensive filter to go onto it.

Cheers Dom
roxydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 5:43 AM   #5

Hi Dom

Thanks for that helpful reply.

If I ever take any pictures of the moon, I'll take the UV filter off first. That may be sooner than I'd anticipated if my wife turns round and tells me that "What's the point of buying that big thing on the front of the lens if you don't ever try taking pictures of the moon?" :-)
Old Feb 11, 2006, 2:49 PM   #6

Just to clarify what Olympus themselves say about the TCON-17. From their Instructions leaflet, they say this:

"Installation ... Remove the lens filter if you are using one" and

"How to take pictures ... Filters cannot be used with this product"

Having now seen that the rear 55 mm thread of the TCON is more or less flush with the rear of the lens itself (which seems perfectly flat), I must say I'm now inclined to remove the camera's UV filter when I start using the TCON. The camera in question is a Panasonic Lumix FZ-30.