Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Feb 8, 2006, 10:32 PM   #1

I have no idea if camcorder and camera lenses are the same or not.So bear with me and igore my ignorance.

I want to get a wide lense for my Canon S2.. and my Sony HC96.. So.. My question is (as I'm searching online).. is there a way to invest in one really good lense to use on both with converters?.. or do i still have to buy 2?
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:17 AM   #2

It depends on what size the accessorie threads are on each camera. I have a Canon G1 digital video camera and a Canon G1 digital still camera. (isn't it interesting they used the same designation?) Anyway, with the adapter for the still camera, I can use 58mm accessories on both. I use the wide angle lens for both and it works great. I also have an older wide & tele set from my old RCA video camera, and with a 58->52mm step-down ring, they will work also. Seem to work fine, as fine as those kind of lenses work. Best not to use them wide open, but stop down a couple of stops.

Best bet is to use the larger of the two acessory threads and use a step-up ring on the other camera. Test to see what works best as far as settings go.
bsdunek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:41 AM   #3

There's a larger (much) larger different. My camcorder is 30mm.. my S2 52... Is it still possible?
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:09 PM   #4

It is possible. Grab a wide converter with 52mm attachment thread (e.g. Raynox 6600pro) and then buy a 30mm-52mm step up ring for your video camera.

Rudolf.
orion999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 1:33 AM   #5

As others have said ^^^ but I would add that the optical quality is more important for the still camera. A lot of videocams are still around I Mp so cheap lenses may be OK for them but be found lacking with a 5+ Mp still camera.

Buy the best lens you can for the digicam and it will be great on your videocam (if the threads match).

Bill
bilzmale is offline   Reply With Quote