Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Mar 26, 2003, 6:58 PM   #1

Default Focal length conversion

:?: I'm about to buy the Fugi S2. This will be my first removable lens SLR. I now have the Olympus E20N. I'm fairly confused about this focal length thing. I've read that my E20 is 35mm-140mm (in 35mm equivalent). So the lens I get I want to be at least as wide as that. So if I get a 28mm-XXXmm lens, will that be as wide or do I need to go to the 24mm-XXXmm?

While I'm asking questions. When I'm reading, some places it says, ah I'll mention names, here at Steve's it says "F mount". At dpreview it says "D-type" When I'm looking at prices, I see "D's" in the product name, I see "F's" in the product name. I don't see the words 'type or mount' anywhere. This has me fairly confused??

One more :?: The Tamron lens are substancially less money. Do they work just as well as the Nikon lens? Will they use all the features of the S2 like the Nikons do? and so forth.

To sum up, It's not that I'm looking for a wide angel lens, I just don't want to end up with a lens that when I zoom out, I can't get as much in the picture as a regular camera. I also want to get a lens that works well with the camera.

Thank you very much
JR
CaptJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2003, 11:44 PM   #2

Default Re: Focal length conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJR
:?: I'm about to buy the Fugi S2. This will be my first removable lens SLR. I now have the Olympus E20N. I'm fairly confused about this focal length thing. I've read that my E20 is 35mm-140mm (in 35mm equivalent). So the lens I get I want to be at least as wide as that. So if I get a 28mm-XXXmm lens, will that be as wide or do I need to go to the 24mm-XXXmm?
The Fuji S2 has a focal length multiplier of 1.5x. This means a Nikon AFD lens of focal length x mounted on the Fuji S2 will become a AFD lens of focal length 1.5*x. Thus, a 24mm Nikkor becomes 24*1.5 = 36mm with the Fuji S2. Therefore, if you wish to have a 35mm lens on the S2, you need to buy a 24mm = 35/1.5 Nikon compatible lens. If you wish to have 28mm on the S2, the lens you need would be 28/1.5 = 19mm. This is the reason that 17-35, 18-35 and 15-30 zooms are so popular for DSLR users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJR
:?: While I'm asking questions. When I'm reading, some places it says, ah I'll mention names, here at Steve's it says "F mount". At dpreview it says "D-type" When I'm looking at prices, I see "D's" in the product name, I see "F's" in the product name. I don't see the words 'type or mount' anywhere. This has me fairly confused??
The F-mount is Nikon's lens mounting mechanism, and the D-type is a feature of Nikon SLR lenses. Most new AF Nikon lenses of the D-type, meaning the lens will transmit the distance information to the on-board computer for more accurate metering. If you could, buy D-type lenses. The Fs are the maximum apertures of that lens. It means that lens is a variable aperture lens and not a professional class lens. For example, "Nikon 24-120mm 1:3.6-5.6D" means this lens has a zoom range from 24mm to 120mm. It is a D-type lens. The maximum aperture at the short (resp., long) end is F3.5 (resp., F5.6). As long as you buy "for Nikon" lenses, they all have F-mount, whether they are manual focus, auto focus, D- or non-D- types.

The answer is yes as long as it is a AFD lens. Before you buy a lens, you might want to use the simple formula mentioned above to calculate the focal lengths to make sure the lens will cover the most commonly used focal range. In fact, you could mount the lens and take a few shots. Most camera stores allow you to do that. Just bring a CF card with you.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2003, 11:46 AM   #3

I agree with what Shene said. Well put.

As to your question about Tamron lenses. You asked:
Quote:
Do they work just as well as the Nikon lens? Will they use all the features of the S2 like the Nikons do? and so forth.
It depends on your definition of "work". If you buy F-mount Tamron lenses, you will be able to take pictures with them. As far as I know, you will not loose any functionality. But for the most part, they won't produce as sharp an image as the equivalent Nikon Lens. There are two caveats to this, though. Nikon also makes cheap lenses. So it wouldn't be hard to buy a Tamron or Sigma which is sharper than some cheaper Nikon lenses. But it is almost guaranteed that if you are willing to spend the money, you can *always* buy a Nikon which is sharper than a Tamron or Sigma.

But here is the real think you need to come away with. If you don't print a very large picture, you won't see the difference. If you print 4x5 or even a bit larger it isn't worth it. If you make large prints, that is another matter, because by enlarging it you magnify the lack of sharpness or imperfections and it becomes easier to see.

So the end result is that the modern Tamron or Sigma lenses will work fine on an S2 (as far as I know.) You can always spend lots of money and buy a Nikon lens which is sharper and has less distortion, but for most people that doesn't matter because they won't print at a size which the differences become obvious.

Another thing to note is that build quality improves with price, along with optical quality. This doesn't matter for most people, but it is a difference. This why Sigma has its EX line, which cost more but have other improvements like better weather sealing (and APO glass). I assume Tamron has the same thing.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote