Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Mar 9, 2006, 5:06 PM   #1

Can anyone recommend some good add on lenses from Nikon, Olympus or Canon, for the Powershot S2 IS ?

I am looking for some high quality macro or telephoto lenses that will work well, not the stuff that Canon has advertised with this camera as accessories.

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2006, 1:07 PM   #2

I noticed from your posts in Critiques, that you are interested in macro work. I don't have any lens recommendations, but did look up the S2IS review on Steve's reviews, and found this:

On the side of the lens barrel you'll find the MF (manual focus) button and the Macro Focus mode button. Macro focus range (in wide angle) is from 3.9 in. to 1.6 ft. (10-50 cm) and covers an area of 4.6 x 3.4 in. (118 x 87 mm). Super Macro focus range (in wide angle) is from 0 to 3.9 in. (0-10 cm) and covers an area of 0.87 x 0.63 in. (22 x 16 mm.)

The Super Macro mode should be plenty. This would be about a full frame of mu thumbnail.

I have heard very good things about Oly's Tcon lenses, and seen some very nice pictures taken with them. Don't know how they would fit your camera, though. Biggest difficulty is finding something that won't vignette too badly, and that depends a lot on your camera lens diameter. What is the issue with the Canon accessory lenses?

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 10:35 PM   #3

Super Macro mode is insufficient for me, as I want to take magnified pictures of very small things, an insect, for example.

Nothing against Canon, but I prefer lenses from Olympus, Nikon or Sony.

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:54 AM   #4

If you want to go that small. try looking on this forum for some of the threads about reversed lens macro photography. Basically, it involves using an adapter and a normal prime focus lens from 35mm camera reversed, to magnify image.

There was one thread I found about telephoto for the S2 here:http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=50

Good luck and happy snapping.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 2:21 PM   #5

Try this link and click on the Canon S2 IS . There are a number of interesting products as well as some examples of the various add on lens photo quality.

Hope this helps.

LensmateOnline - Specialty Digital Photo Products
Pbob is offline   Reply With Quote