Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:45 PM   #1

Ijust purchaseda Canon S2 IS and Iwant to make sure I'm understanding what I need to make this work. I want to purchase a UV filter and leave it on my camera all the time. Now I know I need to purchase an adapter and I planed on purchasing it from Lensmate. Now where I get lost is knowing if the UV filter will fit right on the adapter or if I need another ring of some sort for the UV filter. I'm also leaning towards the 58 mm. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems this is preferred sizewhen you will bepurchasing a telephoto and wide angle lens in the future.

Cindi

ecx350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2006, 9:57 PM   #2

hi I have the 52 mm adapator for my s2 and all you have to do is scruew the uv filter right on the end

eddy0915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 7:31 AM   #3

Quote:
hi I have the 52 mm adapator for my s2 and all you have to do is scruew the uv filter right on the end
Thank you so much for answering me. I'm such a newbie with this stuff.

Cindi
Old Mar 29, 2006, 3:59 AM   #4

There are 2 converters, the 58 and the 52mm so you should get the one tha tyou want. Usualy the better telephoto converters are better in the 58mm size but you run into flash problems with this size. 52mm you dont but then you run into vigentting because itsa smallet size.
BowerR64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 9:38 AM   #5

I have the 58mm one and if I leave it on and use my flash it will leave a shadow on the floor, really anoying. if I zoom in a little it isnt noticable. (really bad when taking shots of people and I am a little close you see the shadow on the chest)
muttbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 10:23 AM   #6

:? I am in the same situation. I also purchased the S2 IS, but would like to add a filter for lens protection. We travel to the Caribbean a lot, and don't want to scratch the lens with sand! Can someone advise? I want a filter that will not alter clarity and unsure if I need to purchase the lens hood adapter for this to work. I am willing to purchase the necessary extras to protect my lens. But, don't even know where to begin?
bonnshacks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 1:09 PM   #7

I would get the 52mm. I got the one that comes with the lenshood. It seems to fit good. I got the lensmate 58mm first because it looks the best and everyone recomends it but the 52mm seems to fit just as good and was about half the cost.

After using both the 52mm is all around the better adapter to get.

If your planning to add a teleconverter then the 58mm

If you add the lenshood it will do the same as the 58 with the shadow.

if i were you ide get the fotodiox 52mm and a 52mm filter kit. I use the PL filter more then any of the others. It helps with reflections and protects the lens.

Then get one of those hip pouch triangle padded bags. The triangle part points down and you drop the camera in it lens first. It fits on your hip with the adapter still on the camera.

They have some neat 52mm "canon" lenscaps also black and grey they look nice and match good.
BowerR64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 6:55 AM   #8

Thanks so much for the heads up! So, where is the best place to shop for these filters? I am so sorry, but just learning!
bonnshacks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 8:39 AM   #9

bonnshacks2 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks so much for the heads up! So, where is the best place to shop for these filters? I am so sorry, but just learning!

I got mine at www.lensmateonline.com. They are very helpful and friendly there. BTW, I ended up going with the 52mm size as that was what lensmate recommended and I've been extremely happy with everything from them.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 11:49 AM   #10

I checked the website you provided. Good prices! However, didn't see any filters for sale on that same site? What's up with that? Or, did I over look something? Trying to get my camera ready to go on vacation. I leave next Saturday! Your help is greatly appreciated!
bonnshack is offline   Reply With Quote