Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Mar 28, 2006, 2:34 AM   #1

So basically this May I will be getting a Canon S3IS for $380 but I've been looking into buying a set of filters and wide angle/telephoto adapters.

Since the S3IS and the S2IS design is exactly the same the adapters are compatible.

But what I want to know, has anyone actually had any experience with those filters/lens adapters that you find on ebay? particularly this one:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=7603104028

I don't really have much money to spend on filters/adapters so this seems like a good deal but I am wondering about the quality of these filters, do they cause distortion or blurring?

Any recommendations? Thanks
Renegade_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2006, 7:38 AM   #2

Quote:
But what I want to know, has anyone actually had any experience with those filters/lens adapters that you find on ebay? particularly this one:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=7603104028

I don't really have much money to spend on filters/adapters so this seems like a good deal but I am wondering about the quality of these filters, do they cause distortion or blurring?
I have the S2 and I was very tempted to get the adapter and lenses from ebay, but from what I read on this forum they are junk. You know the old saying, you get what you pay for and in this case I believe it's true. They aren't made as well and the filters will distort (at least from what I understand). I ended up going to lensmateonline.com and getting my adapter and UV lens. I figured I would get the telephoto lens and wide angle lens later when money permitted. I'm sure some of the more experienced folks on this forum will pipe in as well.
ecx350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 9:14 AM   #3
E.T

Those are just ones which are worth of paper weight.
Distorting, blurring, vignetting... everything is possible with those converters. Made for video camera resolutions with very high propability.

Why is that that description for both wide ang tele converter is almost same with just few differing words while those are optically very different areas?

Or that they have same example shots for every converter they have?
http://cgi.ebay.com/KODAK-Z740-WIDEA...mZ7602676316QQ

I would question even those "2x" and "0.5x" markings.

And filters propably aren't much coated causing light loss and lens flares.
Then that UV filter example shot isn't true, CCDs aren't much sensitive to UV and difference, for example in sky's colour would be very small if any.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 6:55 AM   #4

I've used both the S1 and S2 with a lens/filter adapter. I decided on a non-plastic version which I found at 'Bugeyedigital.com' and also purchased a polarizing filter to go with it. I have had very good results and can recommend the site. As to what lens to buy, that again is really dictated by budget and personal preference or need. I personally was after a method of attaching filters only.

Have fun!
bwanaken is offline   Reply With Quote