Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Apr 2, 2006, 9:07 PM   #1

I just bought a new Olympus SP 500 and I would like to get an add on wide angle lens, as the 38mm is not wide enough for my taste. I have seen some Bower lenses on offer on a web site. Has anyone had any experience with them. I need some advice as it is the first digital camera I'm using. Thanks a lot in advance.

By the way, here's the url:
http://www.digitaltoyshop.com/produc...umlanguageid=1
Olimpia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2006, 1:33 AM   #2
E.T

Olimpia wrote:
Quote:
I just bought a new Olympus SP 500 and I would like to get an add on wide angle lens, as the 38mm is not wide enough for my taste.
Try next time remember that big "zoom" numbers are pure hype and doesn't tell anything concretic.
(or it tells that they couldn't find better things to toute about)

Now that shop definitely chose right name, because those "Crystal Optics" are toys worth of paper weight... Sure there's small possibility they might work half decently in some cameras... but I wouldn't count using such as anything else than paper weight.
Already what they claim and picture of adapter tells that most sensible use for it would be throwing seller into head as hard as you could.
Also that "macro" lens is propably pure junk, if it really would be +14 diopters it would cause huge distortions, corner softness and chromatic aberrations that no one would want to use it.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 9:07 PM   #3

Thanks for your help. I thought that being so cheap it could be no good...
I didn't choose the SP 500 for the zoom alone. I just liked many of it's features.

I found some other converters, by Raynox. Are they fine?
(As you might have guessed, I'm not really an expert on lenses ;P)
Thanks a lot
Old Apr 4, 2006, 4:09 AM   #4
E.T

Brand converters (made by camera makers) are generally by far the best ones but Raynoxs are definitely way better than these common El Cheapos.

It would be best to get such converter which doesn't require using any additional step-up/down and would attach directly to camera's filter attachment.
Also remember to check that converter consists preferably from three elements. One lens element design always increases chromatic aberrations and things like corner softness.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 4:42 AM   #5

Thanks a lot. It was really helpful. I'll think about an Olympus converter then.

Old Apr 5, 2006, 8:50 AM   #6

Dont believe what you read, if he hasnt tried it dont listen. I think we should try for ourself if they work for our camera or not because i dont think they are all junk. I have 3 of them and i got one for $5. that was actualy pretty good.

First on is a crystal optics 2X cheapie, second is a high dollar canon 1.5X and the thrd is another e-bay cheapie 1.6X for a video camera!
BowerR64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 9:19 AM   #7

Thanks a lot for the advice. I went for a Raynox in the end, just to try if it was worth it.
You pictures are amazing, I didn't think a good Canon lens could produce such distorsion!
I'll keep you posted after taking some pictures.

Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:03 AM   #8
E.T

Now what might be model of that Canon's converter?
Looks really like faulty one or then meant for entirely other kind camera.
Or then whole converter could be counterfeit depending on from place where you bought it.
(in some countries they counterfeit just almost everything)

BTW, Did you try to get similar size area photographed? Because otherwise areas should differ when converters have different coefficient.
Also full sized images would be required for exact results, unless these are crops (propably not) it masks chromatic aberrations well.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 5:36 PM   #9

The box was across the room and i was sitting in my computer desk i put first lens on and zoom to max at the box for each converter. They do look like the same size i put the camera on small wich is 640X480 no need to take a full size image.

The lens is a TC-DC58 1.5X i guess it could be fake but then so could any other lens you buy. Thats what im saying you just have to try it for yourself because if everyone said the best is a nikon or an olympus then wouldnt they tend to make them the fakes?

Who would fake a cheap lens? the bag even says canon it seems real to me the outside of the lens looks well made it doesnt feel cheap or look cheap but the image quality sure isnt worth $100. ill tell you that right now.

Im actualy glad i tried these lenses because after i got the canon i said to myself, ok i have tried a good one and there it didnt seem to have much gain so stock is the best i can get. Then i tried this other one and now im going to try some more random converters on e-bay.

I dont mind risking a few bucks so help out other users who are interested in some add ons. Ill have to wait a few days to post pictures of the lenses
BowerR64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 2:22 AM   #10
E.T

That teleconverter might be very picky in with what lens/sensor it works... and it was designed for Canon's first PowerShot G-models which were at the time Canon's highest quality consumer cameras.
http://hatchet.badaxe.k12.mi.us/~ttrusock/tc/ovc.htm
I would guess that kind little converters work generally only in very small lens/short zoom cameras, that Oly shows what normal teleconverters look.

It isn't abnormal that El Cheapos aren't what number tells as coefficient, and Crystal Optics are also sold under many other names.