Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Apr 5, 2006, 9:42 AM   #1

I decided i wanted to try the different lenses available on e-bay some are the same some arnt. I first went to lensmate and i got the 58mm and some filters i played with them a while but i wanted to get some more add on stuff, since its available why not? I got a 52mm adapter with some filters and then got a 58mm 2.0X crystal optics 58mm converter. I wasnt very happy with it ill admit it dont look to good for the S2 but works grat on my A70 but is a bit big and bulky for that little camera. So the 2X chepie works on the A70 but not the S2.

So i decided the only way to get a good teleconver was to spend some money. I got the canon 1.5X DC58 (recomded by canon in the manual) this is not a cheap lens. My results were a slight improvement over the chepie on e-bay but nothing to brag about.

While i was searching i just happen to find a no name VIDEO camera converter the guy had no ide what it was or what it went on he knew it was a 1.6X and in the picture i could see the side said 52mm. I bid $5. and won the auction and let me tell you this is a really good converter. It blows away both the cheapie AND the canon converter.

So dont just asume everything on e-bay is junk, i think we need to try them and post the results because i think there are some out there that will work on this S2 we just need to find em.

Here are the results of the test of the 3 different converters i have.

First one is the crystal optics, second is the canon, and the third is the no name video camera converter.
BowerR64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2006, 8:17 AM   #2

The last one was taken with this 1.6X "Video" telephoto lens. The brand is Akron. Looks like somthing from the 80s. It was $5.

I think they make a wide/telephoto set.

Old Apr 7, 2006, 9:19 AM   #3
E.T

BowerR64 wrote:
Quote:
1.5X DC58
There's different versions of it, designed for optically entirely different cameras.

More precisely four different versions.
http://www.imaging-one.de/Produktsuc...Start&srchtg=P

And now this converter was designed for small lens camera with short zoom so that's the reason for it not working well.
Converter meant for Canon's ultrazooms is TC-DC58B.

Also Olympus has complicated naming for converters.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 11:01 AM   #4

They can be adjusted too. I think i just got lucky with this video lens and it working so well.

I took the lenses out of this e-bay lens and i think i can adjust it so it works better with my camera. It just seems a little off like the canon.

There are 2 lenses in it and i think they are either spaced to far apart or not far enough apart.

I hope its not far enough because thats easier to adjust. I can cut some cardboard rings to space them apart more.

My batteries are charging then im going to take pictures and do testing as i tweak it.

I can flip them around also and create my own whacky lens.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:27 PM   #5

Old Apr 7, 2006, 2:48 PM   #6

It didnt work, i think it depends on the curve of the lenses. They arnt the right curve for this camera. I cant believe i got so lucky on that cheap video one.

I have 5 others i won off e-bay it should be fun to see how they work. Some old old ones for like a poloroid camera. Least they are cheap
Old Apr 7, 2006, 2:57 PM   #7
E.T

I would gues those old ones are better quality ones, before internet there wasn't any easy way to sell low quality stuff, or at least continue selling them long.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:32 PM   #8

I ordered another set with both wide and telephoto. I might try and stack em.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 1:52 PM   #9

E.T wrote:
Quote:
I would gues those old ones are better quality ones, before internet there wasn't any easy way to sell low quality stuff, or at least continue selling them long.

I dont think they are better quality i think they just have the right "curve" to match my camera. The lens isnt as thick in the center where its more spread out so the edges have a similar thickness wich helps with the sharpness on the edges. It seems they are finished better and dont have that haze and blue shadow.

Ill admit you were right about the cheap lenses. Im sure now they are all junk.

Wish i could delete this thread.... :whack: