Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Apr 11, 2006, 7:05 AM   #1

is a UV filter and a HAZE filter the same thing

what can i expect froma haze filter. seen one pop up but want to figure out what it does. i already have a hoya uv filter.

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2006, 7:16 AM   #2

The same, although there are at least a couple of variants around. Many notice little or no difference with UV filters/digital cameras and there is aa bitof controversy floating around re the cutting UV haze aspect with digitals. Nonetheless, I have noticed **slight** differences shooting at the beach (rarely enough to matter, but PhotoShop solves any problems) and the UV filter itself provides a bit of protection from sand, dust, and grit to my lens. I use one as protection.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 7:24 AM   #3

hgernhardtjr wrote:
Quote:
The same, although there are at least a couple of variants around. Many notice little or no difference with UV filters/digital cameras and there is aa bitof controversy floating around re the cutting UV haze aspect with digitals. Nonetheless, I have noticed **slight** differences shooting at the beach (rarely enough to matter, but PhotoShop solves any problems) and the UV filter itself provides a bit of protection from sand, dust, and grit to my lens. I use one as protection.

thank you

i thought they were the same
Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:51 AM   #4

They are not exactly the same...try reading this:

http://dpfwiw.com/filters.htm#uv
Old Apr 11, 2006, 1:57 PM   #5

great thanks kalypso

I was wondering. i photograph a fair bit of drag racin and when the cars do their burnouts and stage i take a shot. as the smoke it stil lingering in the air the shot tends to turn out very bluish. I was wondering if the haze filter would counteract this

thanks

ken

Old Apr 16, 2006, 7:43 PM   #6

No ... the smoke is blue(ish)in actual color ... it is not a UV haze.

But I have been somewhat successful playing around with various filters, effects, and techniques in PhotoShop and been able to reduce very light smoke haze. Usually have not been satisfied with the results, though.

If I let the tire smoke work for me, and compose with that in mind especially by getting in close in person or with a long lens (e.g., 400mm) on a dSLR, I get much better shots.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 6:21 PM   #7

Wow Kalypso, that dpfwiw site took some wading through but even after all that, I'm not sure whether I should put a filter (the main function, from my view, is to protect the lens and its screw threads on the front of my yet-to-be-purchased FZ30) and if so what sort??

Can you, or any of the well-experienced folk out there who contribute to your forums,offer a best solution?

Thanks,

Gerry
gerambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 1:21 PM   #8

A UV filter is what most folks use for lens protection.