Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Apr 17, 2006, 3:43 AM   #1

Hi to all.
I'm looking for a polarizer for my 8800 and I recently bought an adapter for 58mm filters.
What polarizer do you think is best in my situation?

Thanks
Giovanni
jovannig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2006, 5:51 PM   #2

What's your situation?

It usually comes down to money. Some people are happy with a $20.00 Tiffen while others might not settle for less than a $123.00 Pro 1 Super HMC Hoya.

General advice is to get the best one you can afford. Brands like B+W, Heliopan, Nikon and the higher-end Hoyas use lens grade glass vs. the "green glass" (glass used for windows and such) of some cheaper brands.

Linear polarizers are less expensive than circular ones and may work with your camera. Here's a quote from a very good article on polarizers:

"You can usually go either way—CP or LP—with popular digital rangefinder cameras like the Oly C-20x0Z, C-30x0Z and C-4040Z lines, the Nikon CoolPix series and the Canon PowerShot G1 and G2."

I use a linear polarizer on my CP 5700 with no interference with the autofocus. But, you might want to pop the little extra for a circular polarizer if you think that you might want to use it some day with a SLR-type autofocusing camera. If in doubt, go with the circular, because its compatibility with all focusing systems is assured.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 3:09 AM   #3

I would like to buy the Nikon polarizer for the 8800.

But now I bought the adapter for the 58mm filters and I would like to buy a similar quality polarizer to be fit on the filter.

Which one do you suggest?

Giovanni
Old Apr 18, 2006, 9:03 PM   #4

Do you mean that you want two polarizers of different size?

Nikon certainly makes a 58mm polarizer and their filters are generally considered very good quality, so go for the Nikon.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 10:18 AM   #5

Yes, but the one they have fits directly on the camera.
Now that I bought the adater I was looking for something to fit on to the adapter, not the camera.
I wouldn't to remove the adapter everytime I use th Nikon polarizer...

So the question is if there is something similar to the Nikon polarizer that I can fit directly on the 58mm adapter I bought.

Thanks
Gio