Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:43 PM   #1

well,

I dont know if someone in here will be able to help me, but this is theonly place left where I could possibly find the answer to my question. I contacted Panasonic, Olympus, and also tried camcorder forums with no luck.

Recently, I purchased a Panasonic PV-GS250 camcorder. It has43mm front threads and focal length (35mm equiv) of43.8-438 mm. Therefore, I want to buy a wide angle lens. From what I've read so far, many are happy with their Raynox HD-6600 lens; however, the lowest price I could find was around $100. Since I cannot afford it, I tried to look at other lenses.

I've narrowed down the choice to Tiffen megaplus 0.75 (43mm rear) and Olympus WCON-08E (46mm or 55mm). I saw camcorder samples with Tiffen in front with significant blurring at more than 4x zoom:

http://users.adelphia.net/~jp1/tiffen%20full%20zoom.jpg

Although this might not be an issue with digital cameras, one cannot afford to interrupt the video recording to remove/remount the adapter from the camcorder. Therefore, I need to get your opinion on WCON-08E.

I'd like to ask WCON-08E owners to take two samples shots and to post them here: one without zoom and another at 10x-12x (maximum zoom). Also, if someone else knows whether 08E are good zoom-through lenses, please post your thoughts.

I have a couple of other questions as well.

1) Would I get better results with the 46mm version of 08E because the step up is only 3mm vs. 12mm on the 55mm 08E? Does this make any diffrence if both are used with only one adapter?

2) WCON-08E are listed as "still photography" lens only, whereas Raynox are listed as "still" and "video" lens. Does anyone know if there is a difference in the design for video lenses?

Thank you all.
lokosofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2006, 2:47 AM   #2
E.T

lokosofia wrote:
Quote:
I saw camcorder samples with Tiffen in front with significant blurring at more than 4x zoom:

http://users.adelphia.net/~jp1/tiffen%20full%20zoom.jpg
That's completely normal, every lens converter limits zooming ability lessor more, as a rule of thumb it's more+more.

And that 0.8x isn't enough for getting you good wide angle, starting point is such unwide angle.

Quote:
Does anyone know if there is a difference in the design for video lenses?
Video cameras have only 0.5MP resolution so lens converters designed just for those have way lower resolution and those can be compltely useless in digicams which require much higher resolution.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:04 AM   #3

ET,

thaks for your response. As you said, 0.8x of 43=35mm, so this won't be a real wide angle. I just want to get something better than 43mm, and I am ok with 35.

I do agree that "every lens converter limits zooming ability", but I want to find one limiting it LESS. This is an example of Raynoxx hd-6600pro with 12x zoom

http://pages.infinit.net/tfp2000/tel...%20zoom-in.wmv

While the blurring is still there, the quality is way better than Tiffen.

Just for the record,GS250 offers 3mp still resolution (it's a 3 ccd camcorder). However, my goal is not to take stills with the camcorder (I have an FZ15 for this purspose).

I guess I'lltry 08E because Oly Ebay offers 30 day money back. I still hope to get answer to my first question though:

1) Would I get better results with the 46mm version of 08E because the step up is only 3mm vs. 12mm on the 55mm 08E? Does this make any diffrence if both are used with only one adapter?

I think I read someone said that the bigger the difference, the less vignetting you get. Is that true?

Thanks.

Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:03 PM   #4

If i were you i would get somthing like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Telephoto-Widean...ategoryZ106876

Here is a video of how it works, there is 2 versions that i have seen. The one i have is a 37mm, the other i think is 46mm but you can get step rings to fit your camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGrMScP4_6U

It is a .55 wide and 1.5X telephot. Its 2 lenses in one and i think both work good. $9.99 doesnt seem bad + a 46-43mm step ring
BowerR64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 1:59 PM   #5

Thanks BowerR64,

This seems like a great deal. However, at .55 wide, a great concern for me is the barrel distortion. Also, how does it perform at full zoom? Could you post some images taken with your 37mm?

Thanks.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 2:08 PM   #6

How should i do it?

no lens full wide, lens full wide, and lens full zoom?

I have 2 cameras, and S2 and an A70. The 37mm i got for the A70 because it fits in your pocket and matches the A70 perfect. The others i have i got for the S2.

I have this one its a 46mm and a 55 mm that are the 2 best lenses i have. The telephoto is what i got them for the wide was just a bonus. They have the best sharpest image of all of the some 50 lenses i have.

If i were you i would hunt for the 2n1 Tiffen 46mm because the larger it is the less barrel distortion your gona get. To me it is te perfect size. Its a little small for the S2 but its a perfect video and P&S lens.

Let me know how you want me to test them i will. I got nothing to do today and its kinda nice out. 72F!
Old Apr 27, 2006, 3:50 PM   #7

Thanks again,

no lens full wide, lens full wide, and lens full zoom (10x - 12x)is exactly what I need. I'd really appreciate it.

You said that "the larger it is the less barrel distortion your gona get". Does it mean that, for example,if I put Raynox 6600 52mm with 43-52 step-up, I'd get less distortion than with Raynox 6600 43mm screwed directly on the lens? Or, as another example, would it be less distortion if I hooked up 08E 55mm with 43-55mm step-up instead of 08E 46mm with 43-46mm step-up?

Thanks.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 4:37 PM   #8

Ok ill go takes some pics.

I think the larger the business end is for both wide and telephoto the better.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 5:21 PM   #9

Old Apr 27, 2006, 5:46 PM   #10

These are the lenses.

And you seen the little one in the video, thats the A70 flip lens it spins around. There is a 46mm version of it also. It flips around like the 37mm on the A70. It would probobly be better for the A70 then the 37mm but its a but larger not as portable. I wanted a portable when i dont want to take the S2.