Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Apr 23, 2003, 2:45 AM   #1

Default More zoom?

As I mentioned in this post, I need more zoom desperately for my Sony Cybershot F707. 5x optical is all right most of the time, but when I'm at races with my Dad, we're just too far away most of time for good pictures. How can I get more zoom? A telephoto lens? How exactly does this work? Do you lose image quality with them?

Someday I'll have a Canon digital SLR, but until then...!
RobertMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2003, 8:30 AM   #2

Assuming you don't want to replace the camera, your only choice is to add a lens. I'm going to ignore the ability to put a camera on a spotting scope (or telescope) because it won't focus fast enough for you.

A teleconverter (TC) will magnify your current zoom, but the tradeoff is that they gather less light. The 707 had a 190mm lens on the long end (ok), but it's F2.4, which is very good. So it can work in lower light, but doesn't have an amazing zoom. Normally TC come in 1.4x and 2x. If you use a 1.4x you'll have a 266mm lens but you'll loose 1 f-stop of light (so it won't work as well in low light situations.) The 2x will give you a 380mm, but you'll loose 2 stops. You will find other power of TC like 1.8 and a few others. It just means they zoom slightly less but also loose less f-stops.

Since you are taking pictures out doors and (hopefully) in good weather the loss of ligh won't be that bad.

Will you loose image quality? You probably will, depending on how large you print it. If you print reasonable sizes (4x6...) you might not see the difference. Of course, you could buy a cheap TC and then obviously the quality will be worse. That is the crap shoot with a TC. Ask around the Sony forum which TCs people like for that camera.

You might consider Eagle Eye. They made the OpticZoom 5x, that I have heard nothing but good things about. Their web page is:
http://www.eagleeye.com

I didn't see your camera listed, but you can email them and ask if it works. I've email'ed them before and they were helpful and prompt.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 10:21 AM   #3

Default Re: More zoom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertMcDonald
As I mentioned in this post, I need more zoom desperately for my Sony Cybershot F707. 5x optical is all right most of the time, but when I'm at races with my Dad, we're just too far away most of time for good pictures. How can I get more zoom? A telephoto lens? How exactly does this work? Do you lose image quality with them?

Someday I'll have a Canon digital SLR, but until then...!
Hi there ,
I have a Sony 717 and I use the Olmpus TCON14B which is X 1.4 zoomand also the Olympus B300 X1.7 zoom. Both are very good quality lenses.
To use the TCON14B you will need a step up ring. The 707 uses a 58mm filter ,, the TCON14B has a 62mm thred,, the B300 has a 56 thred ,you can get both of these rings from Jessops,
If you go to EBAY you can buy The Olympus lens very cheaply,
The great thing about the Olympus lens is that once you have the step up ring you, then can use all off the Olympus leneses,#
Mick
mickcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2003, 6:56 PM   #4

Default Yeah Sure

Why not buy the Sony 1.7 VCL-HGD1758 TELE CONVERSION LENS it is made for the 717, I have one as well. and has 58mm thrds and will beat the pants off the B-300, I have one of these as well, and likely all the others.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2003, 9:24 PM   #5
lg

Normc, I still haven't purchased the B300 yet (still watching the prices drop on eBay...). Have you tried the Sony on the UZI? I'd love to see some side-by-side images taken with both lens on the same camera for comparison.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2003, 4:51 AM   #6

Default Sure

Neither the B-300 1.7 or the Sony 1.7 are UZI image stabilization lens. The B-300 will require step down rings which is not something I would want on any telephoto lens. I purchased my Sony lens by doing a seach and finding the lowest price, I forget exactly where, but it was $200 and well below list and below what I had paid for the B-300. If you really need the seller I will rumage around and find my old shipper.

The Sony lens is truly a high quality item and it is very heavy and will increase the weight of your camera to 3 and 1/2 pounds. I find that this is an advantage especially with the spot focus and the way we all hold the 717 anyway. The "Hold" is steady and not shaky. I have shot some excellent bird photos using the lens and the digital zoom at 17x and wide open aperatures. I can put the spot focus spot exactly on the birds head. The digital zoom is also much better than on other cameras I have used.

I am looking into a strap arrangement on the camera whereby I can "lock" into a shooting position in some kind of simple fashion.

The only down side if there is one is that you will not want to pick up the camera with the swivel side...but then that would most likely be true of any other lens as well?
Old Apr 26, 2003, 5:05 AM   #7

Default More

I forgot....I am traveling at the moment and in about two weeks posting some images at pbase.com/normc. But I will try getting some bird photos there today. The bluejay is a Sony shot at 17x allthe others are the Olympus C-2100UZ + the B-300. I am going to be listing all my Olympus stuff for sale on e-bay. I really like image stabilization but have the opinion that any add on lens reduces the the process. The reason is that by itself the camera will give excellent results nearly every time whereas with the B-300 you are selecting the best shots and tossing the others.
Old Apr 26, 2003, 12:39 PM   #8

Default OK

I have managed to upload some bird fotos at pbase.com/normc/birds The Hawk is with the Olyumpus C-2100UZI and a FL 40 flash and no B-300, it was a cloudy day, The Blue Jay was with the Sony aand the also the Sony 1.7 lens plus a digital zoom, If you don't like digital zooms you can always take two shots ect... I do it this way to spot focus on the head. All the other photos are with the Olympus and the B-300 lens.
Old Apr 27, 2003, 7:30 AM   #9
lg

Thanks for the photos, normc! The bluejay is very clear for a digital. The .tif of the two birds is the quality I am expecting with the UZI/B300, but the .jpg is disappointing-- could it be jpeg compression?
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2003, 7:49 AM   #10

Default More

They are all really proofs. The prints looked much better than how they came out on pbase. Except for the Hawk I shot thur a window. In seeing them again, I think I have too much unsharping? Today I am shutting down my place here and traveling to Northern Michigan.....Good luck.