Old May 14, 2003, 9:09 PM   #12
lg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCan
Its barrel is plastic!

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
Hmmm. Is the B-300 plastic? I wonder if the optics on the TCON-17 will change over time...
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2003, 9:44 PM   #13

lg,
I am a bit surprised how it weights;
260 grams (9.2 ounces) is about the weight of 10 MiNH AA cells . I find this a bit heavy for an “add on lens” , my AF-Nikkor 50 mm/ 1.8 is lighter than that :mrgreen: !
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2003, 6:03 AM   #14

Quote:
my AF-Nikkor 50 mm/ 1.8 is lighter than that
Glass is heavy. The glass in the B-300/TCON-17 is much larger than in your 50mm.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2003, 11:13 PM   #15

Hi Lin,
I ordered the lens few days ago. I am wondering, since the lens doesn't have thread in the front, I can't put any filter on it ( a UV for protection, shade ... ) ?
Old May 18, 2003, 11:45 PM   #16
lg

KCan, let me know how you like it. I will be waiting to hear from you on whether you like it better than the B-300. Thanks!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2003, 11:45 PM   #17

You can easily glue in a filter ring - several posts on that were floating around about a year ago (for the B-300).

As inexpensive as the lens is, buying a UV filter to "protect" it would probably be economically wasted, but once you get the lens, you can measure the inside diameter on the slight overhang and find a filter ring which can easily be epoxied in to accomodate filters.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2003, 12:05 AM   #18

lg,
I will let you know when I receive it, but I could not compare with the B-300 since I never owned one. From what I see , I guess it can not be worse than the B-300 (?)

Lin,
Thanks, I will also check around the old posts.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 7:39 AM   #19

Lg, Lin, and others,
My TCON-17 took more than 4 weeks and I missed a great occasion to really test it “on the field”
I guess that optically, I don’t have to add anything, it’s proven , as well as it’s predecessor , the B300.
What I like to say is my feeling about handling with the D7i:
Of course, you don’t have the robust feeling of handling a SLR with a long zoom lens attached.
The TCON-17 is heavy, and is screwed to the D7xx’s lens at full 200mm extended position. It’s primordial to hold the “extended” lens to relieve the weight from the D7xx zoom. I had to be very careful at crowded places, I am afraid of damaging the zoom one day b/c of a false move, etc ... .

I think that cameras which use extension tube (Olympus and other electric zoom no thread lenses) don’t have the inconvenient I mentioned, because the TCON-17 is then held by the body, not the zoom’s mechanism.

Of course, I keep it, and in case you forget, you do not loose any F stop with it

PS:
Oh, just like to add: about “comfort” : yes, it’s very comfortable and well balanced on the D7xx for shooting , just as an SLR with a medium zoom.