Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jun 26, 2006, 11:06 PM   #1

I recently purchased a Fujiyama AF Digital 2.0X Tele Lense and a Fujiyama Wide Angle Lense for my S9000.The doubler required a 58 - 55 mm adaptor, and as a result, when below full zoom, there is a huge round shadow at the edge of my photo. In my first photo set below, the wide angle lense also adds that lost Zone. Strike 1 for Fujiyamain this application. :angry:

In comparison photos, the doubler seems to produce good sharp photos, but they are not 2X. They are more like 1.2X - a barely discernable difference. Because I don't want to say negative things without backing them up - I will take a couple samples and post them here for comparison tommorrow. Meanwhile, I plan to unload this lense on EBay!! Strike 2.

TheFujiyama Wide Angle Adaptor barely widens the field of view.This lense does induce a great deal of curved distortion,and thatgives the final photo theillusion ofbeing wide angle. (Yet another lense for EBay!!) Strike3 for Fujiyama. :-x

Since I have determined that I am displeased with Fujiyama's offerings, is there a double or tripler made that will not disappoint? And forget about the Wide Angle - my camera's stock 28 degrees is plenty.
Attached Images

ifxmnfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:07 AM   #2

Here is the same shot without the attachment.These weretaken at night without a flash, so they suffer, but this lense took a better quality photo.

These shots have been resized to 20% so they will download here.

Attached Images

Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:12 AM   #3

Here is the Fujiyama Wide Angle photo cropped to remove the edge. I'll admit it covers more area than the stock camera photo, but not by much. This addon lense also seriously degrades thephoto: Zoom in on the Equatorial Hotel logo in the backgroung to see the difference.

(Shanghai Hilton View.)
Attached Images

Old Jun 27, 2006, 6:17 PM   #4

Here is a shot taken with the S9000 at full zoom. I had to reduce it to 20% or original to get it small enough to post, so a lot of resolution is gone. However, I could not see a loss in quality between this original photo and the following shot with the extender.

Attached Images

Old Jun 27, 2006, 6:22 PM   #5

This was taken at full zoom and with the 2.0 extender installed. It too has been reduced to 20% of the original size. I was surprised that there was not a noticeable loss in quality. My previous tests with this lense were done in the evening, and then the loss was visible. I guess that in full daylight, the camera was able to adjust an F-Stop or two, and did not add graininess.

Perhaps Iwas wrong, but I expected a bigger difference in area with the doubler.
Attached Images

Old Jun 27, 2006, 6:24 PM   #6

Here is the original photo with lines marked to show the field of vision before and after in one photo.

Is this really all the zoom difference I should get with a 2.0 Extender?
Attached Images

Old Jun 27, 2006, 6:43 PM   #7

This is a cropping from each of the full size photos, showing the Ford Logo.

I can see some chromatic aberation in the chrome above the logo in the picture on the right. Butthe 2.0 extender added a lot of clarity.

I would appreciate the observations that any of you might note about the pros and cons of this extender. And I still would like to find a doubleR that would allow me to use the full range of the S9000 Zoom when it is installed.

I double checked, and there are losses at the corners of the photo at anything less than full zoom. The adaptor is a step down from 58 to 55 mm - and I am sure that is the cause. Would a larger doubler (bigger than 55 mm) fit this camera and cure that?

Thanks!
Attached Images