Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jul 7, 2006, 4:26 AM   #1

after placing and reading post, i have decided not to upgrade my 4 mp camera, everything 5mp and above seems to have serious noize problems ? and i have decided at this stage dslr is not for me, to many lenses, changes and dust problems ? for someone as clumsy as me.

i am now considering a tcon 17 for my camera, i am fully aware this will probably restrict my future camera upgrade, i am currently watching this on ebay

1, is this a worthwhile upgrade for this camera can anyone tell me if the quaity at full zoom is worthwhile?

2, is it controllable at full zoom in normal conditions, without a tripod?

3, is it a waste of money? (as i could save this towards a potential upgrade on the next generation of cameras)

also, the two cameras i am looking at as potential upgrades are olympus sp500 and fuji s5600 (also known as the s5200, if either of these had i.s. i would buy today), i believe to be compatable with the lens, i do not fancy panasonic, to many have warned re noize?, throughout the range, can any one recommend other brands that would be compatable with the tcon 17, other than the 2 i have listed

thanks for any help or advice, also thanks to everyone, for their replys and advice on my post, the only sad thing is, not enough people recommended point and shoot superzooms, i can only presume there is only me uses or wants one
jad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2006, 6:39 AM   #2

I own a Fuji S5500 (5100) and an Olympus C5050 and a TCON-17 and a WCON-07 by Olympus which work beautifully with both cameras. The TCON-17 is an exceptionally good choice IMHO.

Just be aware that there are several versions of the TCONs some with 55mm screw fittings and some with bayonets.

Bill
bilzmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 7:50 AM   #3

thanks for your reply,

3 questions,

1, what is imho, what does it mean?

2, do you know,if there are adapters availablefor both types of lenses, i know the765 requires one, i think it is a cl-4? adapter, that is forthe screw intypelens to make it fit my camera, not sure about a bayonet lens?

3, from your own use, i presume you would recommend using/buying one?

again thanks for your swift response, alan

Old Jul 8, 2006, 3:39 AM   #4

Hello Alan,

IHMO = "in my humble opinion" and is common shorthand in forums like this.

Fuji S5500 comes with an screw on adapter and S5200/5600 has it built in - both are 55mm threaded. The Olympus changed to bayonet with recent cameras - not sure about the models you mention.

The TCON is an excellent lens.

A couple of other things to watch out for:
With long zooms (300-500mm) you need fast shutter speeds to avoid camera shake. This is OK in sunlight but is a problem with low light needing slow shutter speeds. The 'rule of thumb' is a shutter speed of 1/focal length. With a 10x zoom plus 1.7x TCON you get focal length of about 600mm and so need a shutter speed of 1/600 th of a second. you may get a lot of disapponting results and should probably use a tripod as well.

Bill
Old Jul 8, 2006, 8:57 AM   #5

Alan -

Just to add on the good advice from Bill above, the TCON-17 is an excellent lens. I have its predecessor, B-300, and have really enjoyed using it on my Olympus C-730.

You will definitely need an adapter. I could not find any specific info on your C-765 as to which adaptor it takes, but it probably is the CLA-4, a screw-on adaptor, and the lens screws onto that. This is the same as for my C-730. I keep it mounted on my camera all the time along with a good quality UV filter. Some call this "lens armor" - protects the lens assembly when it's extended. I like it because it gives me a spot to wrap my fingers around while I'm shooting.

I bought my B-300 (and WCON-07) from Pemaraal Online -http://www.pemaraal.com/index.html I found themhave very good advice and reasonable prices. They also have adapters and have a "generic" one available for $13.50, a good price, and it looks like the CLA-4 screw-on model

Hope this helps.

Paul in NoVA
Olympus E- 500 C- 730
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stoney_g/sets
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 11:13 AM   #6

thanks to both, bilzmale and plg3, i am aware i need the adaptor, earlier this year i bought what i thought was an olympus adaptor, oh how stupid i was, it was an imitation, however i had no cause for recompense, on reading the ad proerly, some people are a lot smarter than i am with words, however for 4 mth it has served its purpose, with a u.v. filter attached, however it is a 52mm thread on it, such is life.

plg3 i have noticed at the end of your post, you mention an e500, is this the next step on the ladder, for me?

again thanks to both of you

alan
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:35 PM   #7

Quote:
plg3 i have noticed at the end of your post, you mention an e500, is this the next step on the ladder, for me?

alan
Alan -

Is the E-500 the next step? Well, who knows??? (Snide comment!)

I looked very hard for a follow-on camera to my C-730. My C-730 had served me very well, to include the Panama Canal, a few weddings, and lots of "other stuff!" It rekindled my interest in photography. I had a couple of film SLRs (Minolta SRT and XD-11) over the years so I knew what I was getting into with a DSLR and how to use the various settings, etc. I've really enjoyed my E-500. Yes, it has limitations but once you know them and how to compensate (if necessary), it takes great pictures. The bottom line, in my mind, is that I'm the one who has to be satisfied with the pictures and the E-500 works for me. I really like the Oly colors and it handles exceptionally well.

Regards -

Paul in NoVA
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 3:48 AM   #8

Alan,

Like Paul I now have an E500 which I love but (like all dslr's) does not produce 'sharp', & 'snappy' photos like a point & shoot does. I have kept my S5500 and C-5050 because each still serves a need for me.

To get the best out of a dslr you need to understand the settings for shutter speed, aperture etc and the effect they have on depth of field for example.

Secondly you need to be fairly competent with post-processing (Photoshop, PS Elements or PaintShop Pro) to adjust sharpness and sometimes contrats. Then you can expect good images from a dslr.

At some stage you may progress to shooting and processing in RAW format.

It's lots of fun :-)

Bill
Old Jul 14, 2006, 5:06 AM   #9

plg3 and bilzmale,

thanks for your responses,

bilzmale on reading your response, i totally get the impression that in your view the dslr would be of no use to me,

i do not wish to use the computer to enhance pictures,

i want to use the photo straight from the camera, (currently i just delete any i do not like)

at this stage i have no intention of learning to use the camera other than to use its auto and scene mode settings,

on reading about cameras, i must admit it seems like the olympus sp500 is probably the next step for me, (only problem is no image stabil., otherwise i would have bought it),i have heard so much about noise, in the prosumer cameras,that is why i considered i.e. dslr with a cheap do it all lens, i thought thiswould cover all bets for me, ie, future upgrades, also would give potentially better shots in auto modes thanany superzoom cameras, also a do it all lens would be left on the camera, to stop getting the old dust problem i have read about

if you read this response, giving the description of how i would use a camera, am i wasting money on a dslr, in your opinion, or not :?, also plg3, as a dslr user have you an opinion on this?

many thanks, alan
Old Jul 14, 2006, 5:27 AM   #10

Alan that is the message I was trying to give you. Can I suggest you take a memory card along to a helpful camera dealer (the E500 takes Compact Flash and xD cards). and take as big a variety of photos as you can in that limited situation. Then take them home and load them on your computer (your existing camera shouls recognise the new pics on the card). I suspect you may be disappointed .

I love my Olympus cameras but suggest you may want to look at the Panasonic FZ30 which has 12x zoom, 8 MP and image stabilisation and is well regarded.

Here is Steve's review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/fz30.html

Steve's conclusion

Bottom line - Panasonic has done it yet again with a model that offers great image quality and awesome performance all with a multitude of powerful exposure modes and features. Therefore, we feel the Lumix DMC- FZ30 will make a great choice for any user that wants a consumer digital model that offers powerful features like that found on more expensive dSLRs, regardless of their experience. All of this without having to deal with purchasing and changing lens. With a street price of around $699, it offers a good overall value for an 8- megapixel Super-zoom model and is sure to be on many holiday gift lists this season.

jad123 wrote:
Quote:
plg3 and bilzmale,

bilzmale on reading your response, i totally get the impression that in your view the dslr would be of no use to me,