Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old May 21, 2003, 4:21 PM   #1

Default Difference between zoom digital camera and 35mm camera

Hi

How diferent is the zoom of digital camera vs 35mm camera
A friend of mine show me the zoom (70-210 Zoom) of yours 35mm camera and i see this difference.
I focus a close object (6 feet) with full zoom and the object is no so close like focus in the camera of my friend with zoom, but when i focus in my c-700 (38-380 Zoom) a far object the zoom work good.
Anybody tell me the difference ??
The zoom works different or what?

Thanks
RDiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2003, 4:41 PM   #2
NHL

Are you refering to Depht Of Field (DOF), ie when you zoom-in on a subject in the near field, the far away detail in a film camera will be out of focus? Whereas on a digital camera pretty much everything stay in focus... :?

The zooms work the same, it's the tiny digital camera sensor that made the difference, someone post this link here before:
http://wrotniak.net/photo/dof/#ANDRE
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 5:03 PM   #3

I mean when using a 35mm camera zoom and focus a very close object with minimun zoom (70mm) the object is very close and likely out of focus, But when usign my Olympus c-700 with full zoom (380mm) the object still in focus (forget autofocus, i mean the object keep in the evf) and not so close like using a 35mm zoom.

Thanks for reply NHL
Old May 21, 2003, 6:41 PM   #4
NHL

Do you mean the minimum focusing distance?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 7:26 PM   #5

Yes
Old May 21, 2003, 7:39 PM   #6

The size of the sensor in a digital camera vs the size of the film in a 35mm camera is the key to your question. In cameras, lenses focus light on the film or sensor to produce a picture. Since most digital cameras have smaller sensors than the 35 X 26 mm exposure area on chemical cameras, digital cameras have an effecive "zoom effect" compared to traditional ones. In most cases, the result is a multiplyer effect of 1.5:1 or 1.6 :1. The problem is, of course, wide angle shooting. Canon makes a digital SLR with a 35 X 26 mm sensor with a 1:1 ratio. Downside... VERY expensive and huge files.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 12:16 AM   #7

Im very confused

My test is if i focus a close object (2 Mts) with the digital camera and full zoom i can keep focusing all object but if i focusing the same object with 35mm camera and minimal zoom is possible i can't get all object in focus because the object is too enlarge to fit in focus.
Is possible to say 35mm zoom has better performance when focusing close object because i get more enlarge object with minimal - medium zoom ?

Thanks for your patience