Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Aug 26, 2006, 1:28 AM   #1

I have a Nikon 995 with Crystal Vision combo wide angle/macro lens.

I take photos of coins, and I need to take photos of areas as small as portions of the date and have that fill the frame. I am able to do that with the above combo. Here's an example photo:

http://www.shieldnickels.net/top20/83F08.html

Look at the second photo down.

My problem is that the 995 is developing problems (remote control no longer works), and it doesn't seem to me to be very practical to dump $150-200 into repair of a five year old camera when much better cameras are available.

I've been looking at the Sony DSC-H5, which seems to be a very nice camera. Played with one at the store, and in macro mode I had trouble filling the frame with an entire quarter, let alone the date on the quarter. Attempting to zoom in doesn't work - I lose focus. This is frustrating - with the 995, zooming in doesn't lose focus (even without the macro lens).

Can I do what I want with the Sony? Does anyone have a recommendation for a lens? Any other recommendations besides going with a digital SLR?

Thanks!

howards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2006, 6:09 AM   #2

Been doing more research.

Looks like a Raynox MSN-500 close-up lens might do the trick for me with the Sony. Any positive/negative experience to report? Am I off track?
Old Aug 26, 2006, 6:32 AM   #3

Not sure whether your cam is digital so the answer is relative.A crop of the area you want enlarged should suffice.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 6:36 AM   #4

The camera I'm using now (Nikon 995) and the camera I'm considering (Sony DSC-H5) are both digital.

With the 995, crops of the area I want are not of sufficient resolution for my needs. From what I could tell at the store, I think it's unlikely that cropping the Sony images would work either.

I need resolutions of about 800x600 of just one digit of the date of a coin. I'm getting that with the Nikon and the closeup lens I mentioned.

Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:35 AM   #5

Howard, try the Sony forum - they're going to be more helpfull there as they know your camera and what lens you might need.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:06 AM   #6
Administrator

You can pick up a Coolpix 4500 from eBay (around $200 or so) and use the same macro lens you use now, the cp4500 has the same lens threads as the older Coolpix 9xx series cameras. The cp4500 is 4 megapixels versus the cp990 at 3 megapixels. These older Coolpix cameras are all excellent macro cameras.

I have been using Coolpix cameras here for our product shots of other cameras that we review. The cp4500 also uses the same corded remote control that plugs into the USB port. I have used the Nikon MC-EU1 as well as a better one that can be found from an eBay seller in China. The SRT1 remote info can be found here at eBay.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 4:46 PM   #7

I have considered buying a Coolpix 4500 or even another 995.

Thought I'd be better off buying a current model camera, but apparently no current model cameras will do what my Coolpix will do.

I'm still investigating.

Thanks.