Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Oct 1, 2006, 7:17 AM   #1

Hi!

I noticed on several occasions that despite beeing thought of as been anti-social cats do have quite complex social structures.

For example, if my dad goes outside, the four cats constituting a family might go out with him (despite beeing yawning and showing that hey would have prefered to be inside), and will set up some sort of defense ring around him! (even though they know that he is very well able to defend himself). Maybe he simply is the main feeder, and ....oh what the hell...sadly enough, I don`t have a pic of that. But here is one, where the two cats on the left, the newcomers my Bother brought with him, are watching me, when Liebi, the one on the left, is content with watching the house.

They constitued a perfect triangle.

I have even seen, on one occasion, cats use a stairway in military fashion, each on going one stair lower than the former ones, until they did have set up a beachhead and one (of course the tom) using this Backup support, used to walk down and check for enemies, patroling to newly won space! I did my miltary service then, that sharpened my eyes for such matters.

There is a lot more built in IQ in most animals than we humans realise, for sure!

Cheers,
RealMash
Attached Images

RealMash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2006, 6:05 PM   #2

That is very interesting indeed! I know my 2 cats "guard" me if someone they don't
know comes in the house.:love:
tigerwings1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:11 PM   #3

So there seems to be some truth in it, and not only my overly active imagination. When my Father burned a big pyre of branches he did cut off from some fruit-trees, Liebi was sitting some 15 meters away shouting the thrilling "Baby-call-sound" they do for the young ones, and tried to get my father to go away from the fire. So they try to make humans behave reasonable, in their understanding of the world. They still try to teach my mother how to catch mice, but as yet to no avail-she still is mortally afraid of the critters.

And, cats do have some sort of humor, too. In fact, it`s not very refined...but they do seem to have something similar to our emotions/concept.

My grandma was the subject of such a prank once. I thought she would drop dead because of the sudden attack. By sheer luck she did not suffer a heart attack. But I didin`t know she could curse like that ;-) The cat running off was obviously very contempt with istelf, which is understandable, when it had to plan some 5 seconds in advance. It ran off in a gentle trot because it damn well knew the maximum speed my grandmother could attain-she was over seventyfive years, then ;-)

Cheers,
RealMash
RealMash is offline   Reply With Quote