Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Jun 7, 2003, 7:44 AM   #1

Default Friends Cat

I have a new Canon EOS10D and I am learning to use it. Comments welcome. !/60 @ 5.6 with flash. Croped in PS. No other changes.

chuck biddinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2003, 8:58 AM   #2

Hi,

First try to decide what you want to photograph.
Concentrate on ONLY the head and neck, or take the whole body.

Secondly try to blacken the eyes a bit, and make the catch light a bit lighter. If you like I will give it a go on your picture.

Greetings,
Frank (also a beginner).
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2003, 9:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Doorhof
Hi,

If you like I will give it a go on your picture.
Sure, please do.
Old Jun 7, 2003, 10:13 PM   #4

I am a fan of cats (I own 1 and I'm watching the inlaws two others.) So in general I like the subject. I find that cat pictures should go for either action or cute. Leaping after a feather, or stalking the cat-nip mouse for action. Curled up on a lap, or peaking out of a box for cute. Those kind of things.

I look at this picture and I say "yea, well... It's a nice looking cat, but what is the point?"

Frank Doorhof is right. Decide what you want to photograph. That doesn't just mean subject. That means, to me, what is the point? Figure out what you are trying to convey and make sure that comes through.

Someone did a good writeup in a post on dpreview which was really good (a rare thing for there.) It compared the difference between a photo and a snap shot. A snap shot has little meaning to anyone but people who know the subject (most often a child.) Technically, they are usually taken with little planning so this leads to ok lighting, bad background, and no "point". They can be perfectly in focus and exposed... but they end up in the shoe box with others pictures because they really don't convey anything. I wish I could find the post, because they expressed it much better than I do. The photo expresses an idea and has the proper technical side too. Not a baby in a high chair, but the same baby with cake smeared over its face, its hands in the air showing you the mess and wearing a big grin.

I want to be clear about something. This forum is for both "photos" and "snap shots". I'm more interested in the first, but there is nothing wrong with posting the second. Since you asked about the picture, I told you. If you were just taking a one off to try it, then the intent is a snap shot. Well, the photo is well focused and exposed (although the cat is squinting a bit much, it's distracting, so maybe you should have use a different light source than the flash). So "technically" it's a well done picture. But it isn't any more than that.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 1:28 AM   #5

Eric!

I agree on your points about photos and snapshots. That said - I think it's alright like Franks do here - pointing out, that even snapshots can be presented in a nice way. No hard critizism here.

That's why I often put in critiques on snapshots - just to open a beginners eyes (not because I think I'm a pro myself or anything!) of what you actually can do to make a photo - often - much better, than it was at the beginning, just by i.e crop it, sharpen it and put a frame around!

But sure...some will be scared off...and never post again!

Just some thoughts!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 4:37 AM   #6

Hi,

PLEASE understand it is NEVER EVER my ittention to put someone down, as I stated before I'm almost an absolute beginner, and thanks to comments on my pictures I'm learning every day. When you read some of the comments on the http://www.webphotoforum.com I got on my cat shots you know what I mean but they were all meant in the most positive way and the person who posted them supplied me also with all the way's to make the pics better with very simple tools.

So here is what I have done with your pic.

What have I done ?
Cropped the picture to what I think should be the subject.
Always take care you got the ears and "nosehairs", the ears are the most important of a cat. (one of my faults in the early pics).

I did a levels and unsharpen mask to let the blur be history, and to let the cat stand out a bit more. (maybe a bit too much sharping)

Normally I would clean out the eyes but I need a bit more resolution for that.

Enhance the eyes with black, due to the flash the eyes will not be black anymore.

Enhance the catchlight, in this case I also added a little catch light in the right eye.

Make the canvas a bit larger and paint that white.
Now make a shadow effect (I use a filter for that).

Hope you like it.

If you want to try to shoot more, please take care of the background, I would have placed this cat to a somewhat lighter background, you can for example just place something beneat him/her when shooting.

Just keep on shooting and posting, the more comments you will get the better you will get.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 11:25 AM   #7

Great work Frank!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 11:52 AM   #8

Thanks to Frank for his time and comments about how he improved my photo.

Eric, I agree with your comments on “photos" and "snap shots", I just never thought about it.

>>
Klaus wrote: But sure...some will be scared off...and never post again!
>>

In my opinion they will never improve.

I will keep posting and I hope you guys don’t get tired of me. Thanks for all comments and help.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 12:15 PM   #9

We won't get tired of you. Please do post more. Klaus is right, I might have scared off some people with that post. I took the risk, because I didn't think I'd scare you. I am glad that I was right. Part of the reason of my post was to point out that there are two types of pictures. Many don't understand that. Yours was a fairly good example of a snap shot.

I'm my harshest critic, which is why you don't see many of my pictures. I spend too much times looking at really good photos that I set my standards much higher than my skill. I took a few of my inlaw's cats last night that I might post... it might be a good liberating experience. They are definitely "snap shots". Cute, but not much more than that.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 12:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
I took a few of my inlaw's cats last night that I might post... it might be a good liberating experience. They are definitely "snap shots". Cute, but not much more than that.
Please post the photos/snap shots. I guess it would be hard to a take a "Photo" of a cat!