Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Oct 15, 2006, 2:27 PM   #1

I was hoping to get some pointers on how to make this picture better. It was midafternoon on a fall day. I like that the sun is picking out highlights on his handsome coat, but his face seems a little dark to me.

Suggestions are welcome.
Attached Images

RenoRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2006, 5:58 PM   #2

Lovely dog...the only thing I notice is looks like you need more room in the picture where is tail is. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2006, 6:44 PM   #3

Yes, I had a really hard time getting him to hold still. He is 2 and 1/2 and very energetic. I finally got this shot but did not notice the tail thing until I was at home. If I try to frame up the shot while I am holding my camera, he seems to think it is a reason to come investigate and then I lose the shot. He moved right after this and I was never able to capture anything but a blur again.

My dog says thank you for noticing how beautiful he is!!
Old Oct 15, 2006, 10:59 PM   #4
AAT

ummm, you might try tohave the camera around you all the time, get your pretty dog used to seeingyou holding a strange lookingbox to your face. My dogs now days ..they seem tomake a sighing noise & roll their eyes when they see me withmy camera.The shot you have posted...is nice!, next time try taking 2 steps backward. Natural lighting is up to you.. what time you go for your walks. Try having the sun at your back or to yoursideif the face is dark or use the flash constantly.

OR, If you have adobe photoshop elementsor or some photo fixer program (even Picasa2 <~~free from the internet) If your dog is a bit to far away in the photo, You can crop to a closer viewand lighten/darken the areas you want.

One thing Ive learned from my dogs...get the shot in first... frame him in, when you like what you see, then get the attention.....AS yousnap away.

Alex
AAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:14 AM   #5

Thanks for that suggestion of getting him used to the camera. i just realized that I only ever take the camera when we are going for hikes or walks around. That means fun for him. He never sees me carry it around everyday situations, therefore it is always new and interesting and signals new places to go for him.

I'll try to habituate him and see if I get some better shots.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 3:30 AM   #6

You can also try PP. The shadow is still there, but does not show as before.
Attached Images

Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 8:11 PM   #7

Raghu,

Thanks for the edit. I haven't played around with my photos too much. I guess I am not very familiar with my program, yet. I will try it out more. Your edit of my picture makes him look very bright. I see that the shadow is still there. I might have to try different times of day, too.

Hey, Chennai was just on TV as a site for the Amazing Race, a reality TV show in America. Do you follow it?
Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:27 AM   #8

I read about the Amazing Race's Chennai leg in newspapers. Unfortunately, Chennai is the only city in India to have the Conditional Access System for TV wherein you have to have a set-top box and pay exhorbitantly to view select channels. Most of the Chennai populace is at the mercy of cable-TV operators whoonly beam popular local channels and so I didn't get to know much about the Race. Glad you people have an opportunity to look at our city.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote