Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Feb 18, 2007, 4:33 PM   #1

Lilly is my neighbors cat and actually she's a bit of everyones house-cat. The sun was shining and her highness was parading at my patio, begging for some strokes and probably a "treat".

She enjoyed herself and I didn't let go that chance unforunately half of the shots with wrong white balance (still manually set from a indoor shooting) that's why I went for some b/w here.

#1 - Resting in the sun

#2 - Shhh - what's going on there?

#3 - wanna play with me a bit?

#4 - ah... finally someone notices me... comeon - caress me!

#5 - btw - what are you doing there the whole time with that black box making clicking noises? I better shall find out!

#6 - owwww - that itching! Ahhhh.... better... much better!! She finally used my patio table as a resting place - unfortunately this gave me not the best background... but sometimes you just can't choose that to your own will.

#7 - her highness takes a break on her paws, still very cautious

#8 - no: I WONT look straight into the camera. Never. Go away.

Well - that's it. Most of it taken at around 150-200mm at f/11 or f/13 to get some DOF. No.7 is my favourite - see that winter fur! It's so thick and cuddly!

What do you say - I hope you enjoyed the show.

Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:55 AM   #2

I, too, often forget about changing the white balance. Thank goodness for Photoshop.

Lilly is certainly a gorgeous cat! I think you did an excellent job capturing that period of time. You have brought to us several aspects of her personality.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 1:35 AM   #3

Many thanks for these nice and encouraging words! That's what I am looking for in a photography - the moment, the character, the special something that would remind you of a special place, animal, situation or else. Often I am not able to get the picture I want - which is very frustrating at times. I can see it with my eyes and I am at least halfway sure what I am after... but don't know how to put that into a picture or if I do it doesn't work as intended to others... because I was there - but the other people looking at the picture weren't...

As for correcting WB - how do you do that? I really tried with the WB toys in several programs, tried setting the white/grey point, the color temperature, tried modifying gradation curves, histogram, channels (mixed and seperately) but nothing really worked...

The pictures were shot in JPEG - maybe in RAW I would have had less problems? Anyway - what's the trick to convert a indoor WB pic to a natural looking outdoor WB picture?

TIA,
Th.

flippedgazelle wrote:
Quote:
I, too, often forget about changing the white balance. Thank goodness for Photoshop.

Lilly is certainly a gorgeous cat! I think you did an excellent job capturing that period of time. You have brought to us several aspects of her personality.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 2:14 AM   #4

Nice shots, nr7 being my favourite. I'm not so into b&w, love the color of the fur - Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 7:12 AM   #5

Nice series Amigo!
Barracuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 9:50 AM   #6

Hi Thkn, I wouldn't say I know a good "trick" to converting indoor WB to outdoor, I just play with Photoshop's CS2's photo filters, levels, channels etc to produce a nicer (though maybe not entirely correct) color cast.

My WB problem is usually the inverse of yours; I leave the WB on an outdoor setting, and forget to adjust it for indoor work.

Again, very nice series!
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote