Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Jul 31, 2003, 8:04 PM   #1

Default Golden Retriever at 9 months

This is my first post here. Looks like a great forum, I've learned a lot already and really enjoy seeing everybody's shared pictures.

This is my dog Strider. This was taken in the first 15 minutes I had my digicam last Friday. The cam is an Oly C-740 and was taken at a small aperture and hasn't been touched up at all. Let me know what you think.

here's the link:

http://norm-goings.fotopic.net/photo...;id=891337.jpg

I need to go back and figure out how to do the picture in the post thing. Back soon...

So can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I suspect it's in my url.

Norm66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2003, 11:45 PM   #2

Actually, they are feeding the picture out of a CGI script, so it may not be possible to direct link to your pictures from that website. The first link works fine, though.

That said, let's try...

Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2003, 6:10 AM   #3

Default Eureka!

Stupidly had the HTML and BBCode disabled the whole time. Doh!
Thanks for the help!

Old Aug 1, 2003, 11:58 AM   #4

Norm,
Nice Golden. I like the name
Here's a pic of our golden. His name is Tucker and he's 13 months old. This was taken right after a swim in the lake!

jazcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2003, 5:11 PM   #5

Hey, Tucker sure looks familiar! :lol:

Goldens are great animals, no doubt about it. This is our first and we're very happy with him.

Here's another pic I like:

And one more:

Believe it or not, I'm looking for photographic and composition advice, not just showing off the dog. ;^) These shots are all untouched as I'm just learning photo editing. Also I wonder if I'm doing right by posting these big huge files at my photo hosting site. Would much smaller files be just as good graphically speaking?

Cheers!

Oh, what the heck one more.

Old Aug 1, 2003, 9:09 PM   #6

Beautiful Golden Retrievers, nicely photographed. They all look so much smarter than we humans. I don't own a retriever, but I do have these two that seem to own me. I love all dogs.

Hondo thinks he's a bird.

Precious thinks she's going to eat a bird. :lol:
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2003, 10:06 PM   #7

Norm,
Those are great pics. Looks like Strider loves the water!

As far as storing big files on the photo site, well, I used to upload my original images but fotopic automatically reduces their size once uploaded. The actual dimensions stay the same but; for example, a 1.4 MB file will be about a quarter of the size once on their site. I've emailed them about this before but they haven't been able to give me an answer. I guess what bothers me is that the original file size is deducted from my total free space (250MB) but I'm not really taking up that much space. That being said, it's probably better to reduce the size of the file before upload since the original file size is only really necessary for printing purposes. It's definitely faster for viewing purposes with smaller files.
I believe sonystation gives unlimited storage space and also does not compress the files when viewed in their original size. The downfall being that you cannot direct link to them.
Unless, you have people copying the files for printing, reducing the file size before uploading them is probably better.

As far as photo editing goes, I've only just started playing around with it. Usually less is more and really subtle changes can make an incredible difference. If you have photoshop (I have the limited Photoshop LE) USM is a very valuable feature. I also crop a lot of my photos to focus in on the subjects and to try and take away anything that might draw attention away from the main point of focus!

Woodysworld,
All dogs are welcome here
Old Aug 2, 2003, 9:25 AM   #8

Quote:
I believe sonystation gives unlimited storage space and also does not compress the files when viewed in their original size. The downfall being that you cannot direct link to them.
Yes and no on that jazcan. Yes that sony's imagestation doesn't resize pics you download to their site, but yes you can link your photos to this site. Just like this one:

macleod76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2003, 9:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Yes and no on that jazcan. Yes that sony's imagestation doesn't resize pics you download to their site, but yes you can link your photos to this site. Just like this one:

macleod76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2003, 1:28 PM   #10

macleod66,
I know when I registered with them there was something written in the terms that stated you could not direct link. I tried it once and instead of my pic coming up, a page came up stating that I was trying to access the pic from outside imagestation.
Maybe things have changed. Oh well, you learn something new everyday.