Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old May 30, 2009, 7:24 PM   #1

Default Some brids

Just some brids well turkey vultures and a seagul but still some nice shots...all taken with the sony a-350 75-300mm, i think all at 300mm...resized to fit...enjoy and feed back welcome..
Attached Images

cheeze_wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2009, 1:11 PM   #2

can anyone tell me why all the pics i posted lost so much....they are clear as day and very sharp when i veiw and print them... All i did was resize them to fit on here maybe i went to small...but they look really bad on here...
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:04 PM   #3

Ive noticed the same with mine. It has to do with the process the picture goes through when its posted. It will loose some of the quility. Hopefully someone else can give you a more detailed discription then this. Nice shots you have posted though.
vexedviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:10 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I've checked with one of the administrators as I don't have the ability to go deep into the system but he can't see anything that could be causing a loss of quality. Do you have the images hosted on another site at exactly the same quality settings etc so they can be checked out?

Thanks,
Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:53 PM   #5
Administrator

The forums software doesn't modify the images you attach to a post.

If you right click on an image and save it back to your hard drive with Save As using a different name, then compare it to the one you uploaded, you'll see that they're identical.

Now, if you use a color space other than sRGB, then the browser you're using may not display an attached image correctly if it's not color space aware. I use Firefox for a browser and haven't bothered to enable color management with it (even though Firefox 3.0 has the ability to see color space tagged images and render them correctly if you set a hidden switch that way).

But, chances are, you're using sRGB unless you set your camera to something else. Whatever editor you used to downsize those images stripped out the EXIF information. So, I can't tell what color space they used. It's always a good idea to make sure you're using sRGB for web posting so that more browsers render an image correctly.

On the surface, it doesn't look like a color space issue though. If you load the same image you uploaded using Firefox or IE (or whatever browser you're using), you can look at it to see how your browser is rendering it (you can point most browsers to an image on your hard disk using File>Open to see if a browser is going to render them differently compared to the image editor you're using).

To my eyes, those look more like they were overprocessed (perhaps a bit too much contrast or sharpening, destroying some of the detail), which may not have been as apparent looking the images before you downsized them. The amount of jpeg compression your editor used may also have played a role (most appear to be under 100KB). But, I'd see how they look in your browser (use File>Open and point IE or Firefox to the image you want to upload) to make sure they appear the same way they do in your image editor. If not, then you may have color space set to something other than sRGB (either in the camera or in the image editor you downized with).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:54 PM   #6
Administrator

P.S.

The algorithms a given editor uses to downsize photos will also impact quality. If I'm using Windows, I normally use the Lanczos algorithm in the free Irfanview to downsize images. You can select the algorithm used when you resize a photo with it (under Image>Resize/Resample).

Resize Magic is another resizing program you may want to look at. It uses an algorithm that's similar to Lanczos. It's available for Mac, Linux and Windows.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:44 PM   #7

i also did notice that when u do a bacth edit for the frist time with PhotoScape it has somethings like sharped and darken set to do it as default...but thats what happens with free programs i guess... i am ganna resize them with another program and see what happens i also belong to flicker so i am ganna upload to them and see what they look like..