Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Sep 5, 2009, 10:36 AM   #1

Default Hopeful

Just trying something different with uploading a pic. Hope it works...

Last edited by Hawgwild; Sep 5, 2009 at 10:43 AM.
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2009, 11:04 AM   #2
Administrator

What are you trying? It will need to be small enough in both dimensions and file size for attaching to a post here.

Keep in mind that many users don't have higher resolution displays (especially laptop or netbook users).

So, if you attach an image that's too large (dimensions in pixels), that requires many members to scroll left and right (and/or up and down) in order to see the entire image. That also means that they need to scroll left and right to see any replies in the same thread (since a wider image makes the entire thread wider).

Also keep in mind that a number of members don't have high speed internet access. So, in addition to display issues that a larger size in dimensions can cause, a larger file size can make page load times unbearable for those members.

To post a photo here, I'd suggest downsizing it using something like the free Irfanview. After opening an image with it (File>Open), look under Image>Resize/Resample. I'd make the longest side around 640 to 800 pixels (and no more than 1024, if you *really* need to show one that large for special purposes), leaving the retain aspect ratio box checked. I normally select the Lanczos algorithm for resizing. Then, when you save the image after resizing (File>Save As), select jpeg as the file type and set the JPEG Quality slider you'll see pop up to around 80%. That will probably get the file size within limits as long as the image is downsized to smaller dimensions first. Make sure to leave the retain EXIF box checked if you want members to see the metadata for camera settings used.

Then, use the attachment button you'll see when making a post here, which lets you upload an image and attach it to a forum post (use the button in the editor tool bar that looks like or , depending on the forum theme you using).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2009, 12:47 PM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

If you're trying to show an image from a web site elsewhere (versus uploading one from your hard drive, which my previous post was showing how to do), you can do that using the "Insert Image" button in your toolbar that looks like or (depending on the forum theme selected), then paste the link to your photo into the box you'll see pop up.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 2:52 PM   #4
Administrator

For example, you could paste this link in the code box below into the window that pops up when you use the or (depending on the forum theme selected):

Code:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3475/3888154789_c1f92b2f4e_b.jpg
Then, you'd end up showing this (this appears to be the image you were trying to post to this thread from flikr):

Old Sep 5, 2009, 4:14 PM   #5

Thanks, Jim, that's what I was trying unsuccessfully to do. I will try it the "right" way, as you have described. I had previosly seen some images that ALady forty (Julie) had posted from flickr that had the exif info attached, and that is what I was trying to do...,like this..http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...9239-five.html

I'll try some more, thanks Jim.. Robert
Old Sep 5, 2009, 4:28 PM   #6

Here is a pic I am trying to upload. I got it, but no exif. I've seen this done, but it doesn't work for me!
Attached Images

Old Sep 5, 2009, 6:02 PM   #7
Administrator

There's none in it. Chances are, you stripped it before you uploaded it (i.e., the editor you used for downsizing it or editing it removed it). If you used something like Photoshop, do not use Save for Web (as that always strips out the EXIF). Use Save As instead.