Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Jan 2, 2010, 7:39 PM   #1

Default Chato: The Urban Wolf

Walking around the neighborhood with Chato is trying. Everyone and their Mother-in-Law stops to ask questions; pet the dog; hug the dog and suddenly get snapped at.

No hugs unless he knows you well.

Here are some images of my very own personal Urban Wolf. (The DNA on a Kuvasz is the closest to a Wolf of any domestic dog)

Chato is used to living in a building with only a half fleight of steps. Walking up and down three fleights is a new experience

Taking up a guard position at the Fourth Street Theatre. Normally on a residential stoop, Chato learns who lives in the building and who does not, and discourages strangers. But he quickly figured out that this was a commerical space and gave it up.

Here he is in our new apartment, err, ah, being vigilant and guarding the place? Yup that's right!

Chato as well as being a rare breed of dog, is a mutation. He has retractable claws like a cat. He can actually pick up a tennis ball with his claws. This is something he is in total control of; keeping the claws closed when not needed, and opening them up when the situation calls for it.

Chato the Kuvasz!

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:23 PM   #2

Nice. How old is Chato?
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:11 PM   #3

Beautiful. We have a Great Pyren. Mtn Dog. He looks very very much like your Chato.
Lovely!

Marcy
panther54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:53 AM   #4

Great looking dog but what do you feed him, the homeless?
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:19 PM   #5

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Chato,

Exciting series and very good photos. I can recommend a book by the philosophy professor Mark Rowlands, "The Philosopher and the wolf. Lessons from the Wild on Life, Death and Happiness". I'm sure you would like it

Torgny

BTW The dog in my avatar is one of my two Finnish Reindeer Herders - also close to the wolf. Not as big as your Chato but really tough dogs

Last edited by Torgny; Jan 4, 2010 at 3:22 PM.
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 5:55 PM   #6

Thanks Guys

Chato is ten years old, which is old for this breed. However they do live longer than other large breeds of dogs since they are not pituitary giants. He might reach 14 or so. At the moment he still plays and runs...

The Kuvasz is merely the Hungarian version of a world wide breed. The Polish Tatra dog, the Maremma etc, etc, are simply the Kuvasz with another name. The Great P is actually a cross of the Kuvasz and a Spanish Mastiff done about 500 years ago.

The Turkish Akbash is closely related, but is a dog of the original size and not bred down to a mere 110, 120...

They're the size of a Great Dane.

(I have to check up on this Finnish Reindeer herders, there might be some relationship)

None of these dogs are for the first time owner.

Dave
Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Thanks Guys

Chato is ten years old, which is old for this breed. However they do live longer than other large breeds of dogs since they are not pituitary giants. He might reach 14 or so. At the moment he still plays and runs...

The Kuvasz is merely the Hungarian version of a world wide breed. The Polish Tatra dog, the Maremma etc, etc, are simply the Kuvasz with another name. The Great P is actually a cross of the Kuvasz and a Spanish Mastiff done about 500 years ago.

The Turkish Akbash is closely related, but is a dog of the original size and not bred down to a mere 110, 120...

They're the size of a Great Dane.

(I have to check up on this Finnish Reindeer herders, there might be some relationship)

None of these dogs are for the first time owner.

Dave
Looks a bit like a Newfoundland Dog.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:17 AM   #8

Good looking dog and looks very gentle. He must be a very good dog.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 9:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCKSer View Post
Good looking dog and looks very gentle. He must be a very good dog.
He's very good natured, but by no means "gentle." And yes, I would say he's a good dog. On the other hand, he would say I'm a good human. These guys do not worship anyone. They are loyal to their friends, or whomever they consider their "flock," which is not quite the same thing. Dave