Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Jan 16, 2010, 8:53 PM   #1

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni
Default Winter Dogs At Work

Helping the native (indigenous?) Sámi people in Lappland
Attached Images

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:04 PM   #2

Beautiful dogs, my wife has been talking about getting a dog. What breed it this. Are they breed work dogs?
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:26 PM   #3

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Beautiful dogs, my wife has been talking about getting a dog. What breed it this. Are they breed work dogs?
shoturtle,

These are medium sized reindeer herders and also used for hunting (tree barkers) and some light sledge .......

The exact name is Finnish Lapp Dogs (double p), in Finnish Porokoira, meaning Reindeer Dog

Northern Scandinavia - Kola Peninsula and even west Siberia

Very social breed. As you probably know herders have to read your mind before you yourself are conscious of what you want them to do

That does in no way mean that they don't have their own will. They can be quite stubborn at times, pretending that they don't know. Can be recommended as a family dog.

Must spend some hours outside every day

Strong canine instincts, wolflike

Torgny
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:31 PM   #4

Thanks for the info.

We have not decide on which breed yet, a greater swiss bernese mountain dog is one that are considering. We seem to like the work dog breeds. I will see what she thinks about the finnish lapp dogs.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
shoturtle,

These are medium sized reindeer herders and also used for hunting (tree barkers) and some light sledge .......

The exact name is Finnish Lapp Dogs (double p), in Finnish Porokoira, meaning Reindeer Dog

Northern Scandinavia - Kola Peninsula and even west Siberia

Very social breed. As you probably know herders have to read your mind before you yourself are conscious of what you want them to do

That does in no way mean that they don't have their own will. They can be quite stubborn at times, pretending that they don't know. Can be recommended as a family dog.

Must spend some hours outside every day

Strong canine instincts, wolflike

Torgny
Beautiful dogs, and nice shots of them!

After researching this these guys however are no relation to the Kuvasz type dog. They appear to be a relatively recent cross between the Swedish Lapphund and the German Shepherd.

Dave

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:57 PM   #6

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. The Finnish Lapphund rather has genes from The Karelian Bear Dog, than from the Schäfer. The Schäfer is originally a herder (group 1) while the Karelian Bear Dog is a hunter (group 5)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Lapphund

I find that article rather accutate. Check out the Finnish history, not the American, since they are new over there

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karelian_Bear_Dog)

The Kennel Club categorizes the Schäfer as a group 1 dog while the Finnish Lapphund, Swedish Lapphund and Karelian Bear Dog are group 5 dogs

The Karelian Bear Dog shouldn't be kept inside houses or appartments at all. They belong to the forests and the wide open fields

These three breeds stand up to wolves. For how long is another matter. Strange, they can be afraid ot small changes in the environment but have no fear in approaching any other animals

Here is Siiri, she's a bit over a year by now. Must do a picture summary of her first year.

(At the moment she's plaing with a massive blue ball)

//T

Attached Images

Last edited by Torgny; Jan 17, 2010 at 2:10 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 3:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Dave,

Thanks for the reply. The Finnish Lapphund rather has genes from The Karelian Bear Dog, than from the Schäfer. The Schäfer is originally a herder (group 1) while the Karelian Bear Dog is a hunter (group 5)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Lapphund

I find that article rather accutate. Check out the Finnish history, not the American, since they are new over there

These three breeds stand up to wolves. For how long is another matter. Strange, they can be afraid ot small changes in the environment but have no fear in approaching any other animals

Here is Siiri, she's a bit over a year by now. Must do a picture summary of her first year.

(At the moment she's plaing with a massive blue ball)

//T

[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Interesting link.

While I never have before I looked up Kuvasz on Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuvasz

They are not related to any of these dogs. According to my Hungarian book, they are one of the earliest of all dog breeds.

They wont stand up to a Wolf, they'll kill it. Indeed, I've seen a video of three Kuvasz fighting off a 1000 pound Grizzly bear. While two dogs held the bears attention, the third would rip at his rear leg tendons. You can see the exact moment where the bear realises they are going to kill him.

These dogs, have different names in different countries, but they are always rare. A nightmare to train...

Dave
Old Jan 17, 2010, 3:22 PM   #8

Dave,

Well, thanks for the link and of course your recent pictures. Seems you've got a real protector, if needed.

A herder and watch dog in New York. Great. Have you had other dogs before. And how does he react when you get p..... off at somebody

Dog Power!!

//T
Old Jan 17, 2010, 8:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Dave,

Well, thanks for the link and of course your recent pictures. Seems you've got a real protector, if needed.

A herder and watch dog in New York. Great. Have you had other dogs before. And how does he react when you get p..... off at somebody

Dog Power!!

//T
Forty or so years ago, (Sheesh, am I getting old or what?) I trained guard dogs for a living. While I was not prepared for a Kuvasz, I was prepared enough to know to NEVER give these guys that kind of training.

I've trained most breeds, and the Kuvasz is something else entirely. I eventually learned some key elements about training these dogs, and basically made a business deal with Chato. (I kid you not)

I trust Chato not to bite people who are not an immediate threat. Since he's often off the leash, you can see what I mean. Even so, if he IS off leash, I don't take my attention away from him. Chato is one hell of a self assured personality. He assumes I can take care of myself, and really doesn't care about my interactions with other people. Saying that, I pity the person who would actually attack me in his presence.

He gets protective if it's one of his human friends who appear to be at risk. He then goes over and tells the person whom he has a problem with to leave ASAP. No one argues with a dog his size showing teeth...

He seems to know the exact right amount of force to be used. These dogs are unique to my experience. Never met anything like them.

Dave