Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Feb 28, 2010, 4:48 AM   #1

Default Some shots of Deer

Currently in Beijing, China.. went to the mountain resort in Chengde, China and its the largest imperial palace garden existing in China. while I was there I happened to see a lot of deer. It was quite cold.. about -6 celsius. I didn't stay for too long since i wasn't dressed for the weather =( anyways enjoy!

Edit* C&C welcomed! also this was taken with my new Tamron 70-300 Di Ld Macro... I noticed it isn't as sharp or fast as my sigma 17-70 DC Macro... oh well.. I guess i'd better start saving for a Sony G lens =)
Attached Images

Last edited by Wonger; Feb 28, 2010 at 4:54 AM.
Wonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2010, 5:34 AM   #2
Super Moderator

It's true it isn't as sharp as the Sigma 17-70 but it is the best budget 70-300mm out there. How did you find it stopped down to f10? Personally when I had mine I found f7.1 was perfectly fine and even f5.6 and just under 300mm worked well too. Yes, fully wide open and at 300mm it was quite soft but still usable for normal size printing.

Anyway, back to the photos. I really like the 2nd one, for me this is the winner of the bunch. The last 2 are not nearly as good as the rest. I'm not sure but it seems as if the 3rd has focused on the tree rather than the Deer.

Well worth getting cold for.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 6:46 AM   #3

i like 2 and 3 in this set number 3 with alittle pp could become something special number 4 i dont like to see man made things in the background when shooting wildlife although these are farm bred deer
Old Feb 28, 2010, 6:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
i like 2 and 3 in this set number 3 with alittle pp could become something special number 4 i dont like to see man made things in the background when shooting wildlife although these are farm bred deer
Im pretty new with photoshop.. but what can be done to make it a better photo?
Old Feb 28, 2010, 8:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
How did you find it stopped down to f10? Personally when I had mine I found f7.1 was perfectly fine and even f5.6 and just under 300mm worked well too.
Today was the first time shooting with the lens so I dont know too much about it yet. From what I've read i knew that it would be pretty soft wide open. I just went with f10 but i'll give f7.1 and f5.6 a try next time =)
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:41 AM   #6

I touched up photo 2 and 3 with my limited photoshop skills... I think it looks a bit better.. what else could i do besides USM and contrast/brightness?
Attached Images

Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:43 AM   #7

they look better already maybe try add a little orton effect ? but then it wont become a true shot of a deer as it will be pp maybe a tad too much?