Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Mar 25, 2010, 4:46 PM   #1

Default Miniature Aussie

I met this little guy, all of 10 pounds...

I assume they herd miniature sheep. I am not familiar with this breed, which is not recognised by the AKC, although their becoming quite popular.

This one decided to herd Chato, an activity which gives me the hebbie jeebies. While Chato wont bite a tiny dog, he will "woof em." To my surprise Chato felt this fellow could do no wrong, so next time they meet I'll shoot Chato being "herded."

The reason the dog looks worried, is because he is aware that herding a Kuvasz doesn't make sense, but he can't quite put his finger, pardon me, paw on what's wrong...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2010, 6:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post

I assume they herd miniature sheep. I am not familiar with this breed, which is not recognised by the AKC, although their becoming quite popular.

Dave
Dave when pbjunkie put up his photo of an 'Aussie' I questioned if it was a long-haired German Coolie/Koolie. This one looks even more like a Koolie than the one in his photo. I did find a reference to this dog as being an 'Australian Shepherd' (never heard of it). There is an Australian Shepherd Club of America (see http://www.asca.org/). Info on the Koolie/Coolie can be found at the Koolie Club of Australa website at http://www.australian-koolies.info/ They're excellent! working dogs.

Bernice
Old Mar 25, 2010, 7:05 PM   #3

cute too
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 7:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
Dave when pbjunkie put up his photo of an 'Aussie' I questioned if it was a long-haired German Coolie/Koolie. This one looks even more like a Koolie than the one in his photo. I did find a reference to this dog as being an 'Australian Shepherd' (never heard of it). There is an Australian Shepherd Club of America (see http://www.asca.org/). Info on the Koolie/Coolie can be found at the Koolie Club of Australa website at http://www.australian-koolies.info/ They're excellent! working dogs.

Bernice
Sorry. The "Australian" Shepherd is actually an American Breed... It's a mix of many dogs, including a Spanish Collie.

When I had one I used to run into people from Australia, and when I told them the breed, they would shake their heads and say they never heard of it. Well, there's a good reason they never heard of it...

Dave
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post

This one decided to herd Chato, ...

Dave
Maybe he mistook him for a sheep in full wool!

Bernice
Old Mar 26, 2010, 7:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
Maybe he mistook him for a sheep in full wool!

Bernice
The Aussie is a recognized AKC breed, the miniatures are not, nor are they recognized by the American Aussie Club as a division of the breed.

I really, really hope to get another opportunity to photograph this ten pound dog herding my 120 pound Kuvasz. Chato is amused by little dogs and their reaction to him. He seemed to like this miniature, and its antics. He has one Chihouhua friend who grabs him by the throat (has to leap up to do this) and Chato immediately rolls over. But I get nervous when he meets a new pooch, and until Chato displays his feelings I hover over the scene to make sure nothing, err, "accidental" occurs.

My Aussie, 65 pounds, would never have tried to herd Chato...

Dave