Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:33 PM   #1

Default more focused than the camera

I love her focus on the ball in this shot of my dads dog, it is too bad they look wierd. I wish I knew how to fix that, any one want to help? Sure would make a better pic. anyway she definately caught the ball!
Frank

Last edited by hkmp50; Nov 14, 2010 at 10:35 PM.
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:07 AM   #2

Hey Frank, nice shot! This problem is extremely common, and is easily fixed. I just selected the off color part of the eye with the magnetic lasso tool in PSE, then de-saturated the eye, and then darkened it using the levels adjustment tool. Cleaned up the mess and added a tiny amt of USM, about .4. You could take more time with it and get better results, especially with the original file.
Attached Images

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 1:05 AM   #3

Robert, Holy Moly, That is frickin awsome I will have to remember that and fix these problems in the future. Since the origional was shot RAW I bet you are right, but I have yet to purchase a program. Man that is sure nice for you to help Thanks!!!!
Frank

Last edited by hkmp50; Nov 15, 2010 at 1:15 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 1:35 AM   #4

Hey Frank, there are a lot of picture editors out there, some free, and some not. Photoshop Elements is an abbreviated form of Photoshop that does EVERYTHING I need it to do without the enormous expense. There are others here who have the full version, and do some spectacular work with it. Unless you have a lot of disposable income, or are a pro shooter, you probably never will need all the features of Photoshop. PSE can be bought most places for around $80.00, give or take. I'm still using PSE4.0, and will not upgrade until Windows 7 makes me, whenever that may be!

My Flickr
-Robert-

Old Nov 15, 2010, 2:22 AM   #5

Well Robert, I just tried a "free" download of photoshop and when I opened it (scanned it for viruses first), it was written totally in chinese. Heck a course in mandarin cost over 399.99 just to read the darned thing!!!I guess I will have to wait for christmas, and drop some hints around the kitchen. LOL
Frank
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:43 AM   #6

Wow! Did you get it from Adobe.com?

My Flickr
-Robert-

Old Nov 15, 2010, 6:08 AM   #7

Good job Hawgwild!
hkm50: you can get Phosotshop Elements 8 for about $52:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Adobe-Photoshop-...item43a310f460
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
Hey Frank, there are a lot of picture editors out there, some free, and some not. Photoshop Elements is an abbreviated form of Photoshop that does EVERYTHING I need it to do without the enormous expense. There are others here who have the full version, and do some spectacular work with it. Unless you have a lot of disposable income, or are a pro shooter, you probably never will need all the features of Photoshop. PSE can be bought most places for around $80.00, give or take. I'm still using PSE4.0, and will not upgrade until Windows 7 makes me, whenever that may be!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Good job Hawgwild!
hkm50: you can get Phosotshop Elements 8 for about $52:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Adobe-Photoshop-...item43a310f460
Or, you could try Gimp that is free http://www.gimp.org It will give you many of the same options you have in PS.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 4:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Wow! Did you get it from Adobe.com?
No Robert, I of course googled "free digital editing download" and wound up aparently with a bootleg copy from China, (which I promptly deleated after seeing I could not read it).. I am not as tight as I seem, however with Christmas comming up and having 3 grown children and 8 grandchildren and one great grand child, I seem to spend any excess money on them around this time of year.
Quote:
Or, you could try Gimp that is free http://www.gimp.org It will give you many of the same options you have in PS.
Thanks GJTOTH, I will give it a go as I really do not need anything too complicated as I am just starting out and won't need anything special till I start taking better pics and get more familiar with the whole photo thing.
Thanks to you both and I will see what I can find. I will let you know how it goes...
Frank
Old Nov 17, 2010, 5:42 PM   #10

Hi Frank, What a super pic you have there. Amazing how you stopped the action so well and have a sharp pic. Lovely looking dog.
Roberts edit has made it brilliant.
I found Gimp very similar to photoshop but its freeeeeee. I found a great way to learn is to connect 2 monitors up to your computer ( if it will take it some wont) and then play a free you tube tutorial on 1 screen and copy the processes on the other screen with your edit program.

Great shot.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote