Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:09 PM   #1

Default Texas State Aquarium, Corpus Christi, TX

Went to Corpus Christi the week before Christmas to kick off the season, visiting my parents before heading north to visit my wife's relatives. My parents had some passes that needed to be used up before the end of the year, so we went to the Aquarium. Pretty nice place, with both indoor and outdoor (it was 80 that day too) exhibits, and some hands on things for the kids to do. All taken with my EPL-1. Most of the indoor stuff was with low light, so 1600 iso and slow shutter speed, the outdoor stuff turned out better. I wish I could have had more time to experiment with some different things, but it's tough with a group.

Thanks for looking.
Attached Images

Green Eyed Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:13 PM   #2

They didn't have just fish. The frog was indoors, but the turtles and the birds were outside. They had a big tank with the sea turtles. All of them had been rescues, more than a couple were missing fins and other damage. Kind of sad.

Take care.
Attached Images

Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:40 AM   #3

Interesting shots, well done. the EPL-1 is a nice camera. Did you have any focus issues with the EPL-1 in the low light levels of the aquarium tanks?
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Interesting shots, well done. the EPL-1 is a nice camera. Did you have any focus issues with the EPL-1 in the low light levels of the aquarium tanks?
Steven: Thanks for the comments. Yes, I did have some issues with the AF hunting, and I have more than a couple pictures from that day that are out of focus. That's one of the things I was referring to when I said I wished I had more time to play with things. I have auto focus with manual assist turned on, but with out the VF2 I can't really get a good look at what I'm doing. Sadly, the VF2 is not in the cards in the immediate future.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:19 PM   #5

Very nice shots. I wouldn't have known some were shot at ISO 1600 had I not looked at the EXIF. Makes me want to try the same on my Sony A350.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Very nice shots. I wouldn't have known some were shot at ISO 1600 had I not looked at the EXIF. Makes me want to try the same on my Sony A350.
Thanks, vvcarpio. They do get noisy pretty quickly though. For example, I wanted to crop the frog picture to focus on the frog more, but it really wasn't turning out well. On the other hand both of the bird pictures are crops, and I been very pleased how them and the other lower ISO pictures turn out, even at close crops. Thanks for the comments!