Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Jan 9, 2004, 6:28 AM   #11
kex

Quote:
Very pretty dog. From what I understand, they make for a good guard dog and also very loving towards children?
That's right. Pyrenean mountain dogs were/are used for protecting big herds of sheep from wolves and so on.
We had one dog from canada which lived on a farm and she had to handle with bears and wolves almost every day.
What pyrenean mountain dogs don't do is the work most bearded and border collies in sheep herds. (herdings)
But as you said correctly, they are really good guards but also very kind to people and also children.
There are some more stories I could tell you.
For example one of our dogs lives with a woman. One night when they went for a walk, the dog went around the corner to do some of its business
Howevery, some men came along with dark clothes and wanted to attack the woman. Fortunately the dog came and knocked the men over, but didn't bite them, just a snarl was enough to make them run away.
So a clear YES for the good guard and also for the good behaviour towards people.

Quote:
If so, is it that they have a personality that is young at heart or do they posses a nurturing spirit?
Definitly nurturing and sometimes a bit lazy

Quote:
From what I have read, they seem to have traits that I would think most everyone would want in a dog. The only possible drawback (for some) being size and/or time needed to keep the dog well groomed.
That doesn't quite refer to the pyrenean mountain dog.
Brushing the coat of a p-m-dog once a week is more than enough, really!
They don't have greasy or felty coat which makes the grooming easy.

Quote:
He looks watchful, yet laid back.
I would almost think he knew you were taking a picture of him, "Here take a side profile pic , my right side being my best"
That's right. They are aware of their majestic appearance and they know how to use it.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 10:06 PM   #12

Kex,

Considering all that you've said about this breed of dog, it is a dog that I think to give much consideration to when considering another dog in the future.

On every point, they sound perfect.

Quote:
They don't have greasy or felty coat which makes the grooming easy.
That's a plus! Whilst visiting my husbands grandmother in California, I took note that one of her long-haired dogs was in desperate need of grooming. Little did I know, it would require quite abit of time.
The fur was long and "felty"...which served as velcro to anything that would stick to it.

Your breed being somewhat of a "lazy" breed, does this mean that they are happy with the "casual" owner?

I can't say that I am a very active person. My dogs experiences will mostly be: driving around with me in the truck, camp, go to the beach, take short walks through town and take the occasional hike with us. Aside from this, it will be playing in our yard and hanging out with us in the house.
I'm not an "active" person on a daily basis. Therefore, in fairness, I don't choose animals that require more activity than I am willing/capable of giving.

Thank you for posting photos of your dog. 8)
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 9:28 AM   #13
kex

oh don't care about the activity of a pmd! Really! They sleep a lot and we just go for a walk with some of them sometimes. maybe twice a month or something like that.
the rest of the time, they go out in the garden and live in the house.
Right now, 2 of our 4 pmd are sleeping, the others are walking around not knowing what they could do. :lol:

Nevertheless, they are watchful for what's happening and if somebody would say the one special word "out", or "wanna go outside?", they'd jump off and barking and expecting me to open the door.

But as long as the dog is full-grown, they love going for some longer walks.
But generally they're really easy to satisfy.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 2:29 AM   #14

Such a great sounding dog, one for which I will keep my eye out for in the future.

It seems difficult to find a good guard and yet good people dog- combined in one. I really like the German Shepard for it's keen intelligence and guarding abilities but more dog than I think I could handle. A dog that would require a very firm handle and much training.
My previous boss had a German Shepard, which never seemed to have noticed me...until I swung my arms near her and her owner. She did NOT like that at all. She was never trained to be that guarding...just came instinctively.
I wouldn't like my dog responding like that to people...especially to people that he/she should be used to.
I hear that they are prone to physical ailments as well.

I like the Border Collie for it's intelligence as well but I wouldn't have any "work" for it to keep them busy with. For which I hear they need.

A cross between a good guard/people dog that isn't a "busy body" :lol: is right up my alley. Due to it's coat, would do well in Alaskan climates as well.

In the meantime, our Lab is proving to be a great family dog. Gentle with the kids and loves to flop down by my feet for naps
When we consider another dog in the future, I will be looking up your breed. Thank you for the info....it's good to hear first hand.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 8:51 AM   #15

Quote:
It would be nice to be able to print out all the fonts on a sheet of paper so that I can see them at a glance but I haven't found a site of fonts, nicely laid out (printable).
You can print out the fonts on your computer, though not in a bunch. Go to Control Panel>Fonts, and when you see the list of installed fonts on your computer, you can double-click each one separately to bring up a screen that shows the font. On this screen is a "Print" button. Granted, it's is a pain-in-the-neck way of doing it, but it will create a printed catalog of your fonts.

I seem to remember a freebie program called "Fontlister" that I used several years ago to print out all my fonts. If I trip across something like this, I'll let you know about it.

By the way, if you end up being an incorrigible font collector such as I am, you'll eventually have to use a program that organizes the fonts and controls the number loaded when you boot your computer. Otherwise, the huge number of fonts will slow things down. I use Suitcase by Extensis and no longer need to print out my fonts because the program allows me to view and compare all the fonts onscreen. I can't remember the name of it, but I know that Adobe has a similar product...and there are others, too.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 10:26 AM   #16

I found it:

http://download.com.com/3302-2316-6076933.html

This is the Fontlister download page at Cnet.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 9:21 PM   #17

Quote:
You can print out the fonts on your computer, though not in a bunch. Go to Control Panel>Fonts, and when you see the list of installed fonts on your computer, you can double-click each one separately to bring up a screen that shows the font.
By golly and there they were all the time! :shock:

In using fonts in my editor; I have had to click on, then "undue"...only to repeat the process until I found one that I liked. Of course, I would wonder if there were others that I would prefer over the one I had chosen but by that time...I was too "burned out" to go through the whole list. lol

Quote:
I found it:

http://download.com.com/3302-2316-6076933.html

This is the Fontlister download page at Cnet.
I will await my husbands return home from work and have this program downloaded then.

You're a God-Send Barbara Thank you.
Old Jan 17, 2004, 8:44 AM   #18

You're entirely welcome.
Old Jan 17, 2004, 4:22 PM   #19

Very nice pitchers. Keep up the good work.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2004, 7:47 PM   #20

Perfect ,that is all I can say. I love this shot!!!
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote