Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Apr 11, 2011, 4:27 PM   #1

Default a robin in the backyard

shot this out of my bedroom window about 500 yards away from the bird took the pic with my d3000 with a sigma 70-200mm 2.8 hsm2 hand held no os croped and adjusted abit in lightroom 3 what do you guys think idk why but i lose sharpness when i upload pics
Attached Images

zombz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2011, 9:13 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Subject is a bit too far for a decent crop. Also, the grass in the background is a bit tiio distracting for the subject to stand out.

Re. loss in sharpness, I upload to photobucket first and then link to it. Never had a problem with loss of sharpness.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 6:05 PM   #3

Hummmmmm Zombs, 500 yards , that is a lot to shoot and get as good of detail as you got here. Nice shooting my friend!
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:11 AM   #4

Default loss of sharpness

I was having the same problems and then JimC gave me the explanation below in another thread. Once I started making sure that the file size was small enough to keep the forum s/w from resizing it, the sharpness problem went away. Here are Jim's instrucitons:

Quote:
Apr 19, 2011, 7:13 AM #6
JimC
Administrator

You'll see the maximum allowed sizes in the screen that pops up when you browse for photos on your PC to attach and upload.

If you exceed the maximum allowed sizes, then the forums software will still let you upload them. But, it will resize and recompress them (as well as strip out any EXIF data).

If you're sure the dimensions in pixels were within the maximum allowed size (no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side), then you probably exceeded the maximum allowed file size of 253.9KB (260,000 bytes). When saving an image from your editor, usually a jpeg compression quality of around 85% (or 8, depending on software if it's a 1 to 10 or 12 scale), allows the images to stay within the maximum file sizes allowed.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 1:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkmp50 View Post
Hummmmmm Zombs, 500 yards , that is a lot to shoot and get as good of detail as you got here. Nice shooting my friend!
sorry it was more like 50yards i made a typo in the first post lol the bird was in the middle of my yard and i opened my bedroom window and took the pic lol

Last edited by zombz; Apr 24, 2011 at 3:36 PM.
zombz is offline   Reply With Quote