Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Sep 4, 2011, 7:06 AM   #11

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa_jim View Post
That poem isn't biblical. The version I've heard ends with "And the dog heard, and said WTF?"
GOD SUMMONED A BEAST FROM THE FIELD...

And he said, Behold man, created in my image. Therefore adore him
You shall protect him in the wilderness, shepherd his flocks,
watch over his children, accompany him wherever he may go;
even unto civilization.
You shall be his companion, his ally, his slave. To do these things,
God said, I endow you with these instincts uncommon
to other beasts: faithfulness, devotion, and understanding
surpassing those of man himself.
Lest it impair your courage, you shall never foresee your death.
Lest it impair your loyalty, you shall be blind to faults of man. Lest it
impair your understanding, you are denied the power of words.
Let no fault of language cleave an accord beyond that of man with
any other beast; or even man with man. Speak to your master only
with your mind and through your honest eyes.
Walk by his side: sleep in his doorway: forage for him, ward
off his enemies, carry his burdens, share his afflictions;
love him and comfort him.
And in return for this, man will fulfill your needs and wants-
which shall be only food, shelter and affection.
So be silent, and be a friend to man. Guide him through the perils
along the way to the land that I have promised him.
This shall be your destiny and your immortality.
So spoke the Lord. And the dog heard and was content.

Jim,

Obviosly its not a quote from the book but its creationistic. Neither creationism, nor religion as a whole is my cup of tea but there's some knowledge about dogs in the text

You could very well argue that people want dogs to be submissive and overly faithful and that we shouldn't encourage those faculties. Dogs and children belong to the whole world

My dog pictures don't show big faithful eys, rather dogs living in accordance with their true nature. I hope so anyhow

You cannot "own" a dog. Sometimes it feels that they own you

Yes, you've got a point there, and an important one, too

Torgny
Attached Images

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Last edited by Torgny; Sep 4, 2011 at 7:14 AM.
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2011, 7:16 AM   #12

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Jim, most dog "owners" have a lot to learn
Attached Images

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.

Last edited by Torgny; Sep 4, 2011 at 3:28 PM.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 8:43 AM   #13

Actually, I was just trying to give everyone a chuckle and lighten up the mood a little. I'm a dog owner and value the animal greatly. It is a good thing that they desire our companionship so much, and humbly accept our commands. Contrast that with a cat - no comparison.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2011, 12:47 PM   #14

One correction:
No dog is a slave to a human, except by an act of will on their part. Nor can you force one to become so, without breaking them or turning them vicious. They give loyalty from the heart, not from compulsion.

Dogs are unique among domesticated animals in that they chose to ally themselves with us, and to be our friends. The evidence indicates that they very early, wolves attached themselves to us first because of the advantages of scavenging large kills, and later as a symbiosis in which both species became more efficient at hunting.

It is worth noting that one species of canid closely related to wolves, will do this with tigers, locating food and alerting the tiger, and then feeding on the remains.

In India, lone golden jackals expelled from their pack have been known to form commensal relationships with tigers. These solitary jackals, known as kol-bahl, will attach themselves to a particular tiger, trailing it at a safe distance in order to feed on the big cat's kills. A kol-bahl will even alert a tiger to a kill with a loud pheal (thereby straying into mutualism). Tigers have been known to tolerate these jackals: one report describes how a jackal confidently walked in and out between three tigers walking together a few feet away from each other.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commensalism
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2011, 1:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
One correction:
No dog is a slave to a human, except by an act of will on their part. Nor can you force one to become so, without breaking them or turning them vicious. They give loyalty from the heart, not from compulsion.

Dogs are unique among domesticated animals in that they chose to ally themselves with us, and to be our friends. The evidence indicates that they very early, wolves attached themselves to us first because of the advantages of scavenging large kills, and later as a symbiosis in which both species became more efficient at hunting.

It is worth noting that one species of canid closely related to wolves, will do this with tigers, locating food and alerting the tiger, and then feeding on the remains.

In India, lone golden jackals expelled from their pack have been known to form commensal relationships with tigers. These solitary jackals, known as kol-bahl, will attach themselves to a particular tiger, trailing it at a safe distance in order to feed on the big cat's kills. A kol-bahl will even alert a tiger to a kill with a loud pheal (thereby straying into mutualism). Tigers have been known to tolerate these jackals: one report describes how a jackal confidently walked in and out between three tigers walking together a few feet away from each other.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commensalism

The Barbarian,

When my oldest barely knew how to swim she once made a decision. She was at one end of a lake and I was on the other end. She sat there for a couple of minutes, calculating, and suddenly she jumped into the water and swam all the way to me.

She would otherwise have had to run all the way around the lake. She was happy and I felt like I felt when my kids took their first steps. Got tears in my eyes, I remember

I've been dealing with the philosophy of mind and freedom of choice ("free will" is a misleading wording; clearing that out would be my contribution to the study of "meta-ethics")

The dogs obviously have higher mental faculties, and can make "free choices" When I use the word "altruistic" about dogs (or people for that matter); it doesn't mean there isn't an utilitaristic motive. We give and we get back

Dogs are not formed but they form themself. I highly appreciate your contribution to this thread. Thank you. The Barbarian

Torgny

Last edited by Torgny; Sep 9, 2011 at 3:19 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 5:22 AM   #16

Wonderful pics of your girls. And, yes, strong resemblance to Hachiko - lovely movie.
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 4:07 PM   #17

Love the pictures of your dogs.

Last edited by Calicajun; Sep 9, 2011 at 5:38 PM.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 2:29 PM   #18

Hi Torgny,

Thanks for sharing these photos of your beautiful dogs. I really admire the way you have captured the expressions of them in the first 3 photos in particular, and the rich, natural colours.

Many years ago I owned 2 dogs, one after the other. My second dog looked somewhat similar to your dog in photos #1 and #2. She had part "Keeshond" in her. The first dog was pure border collie, and much more playful.

I don't have any pets now (unless some insects in my garden and the birds that come to feed on them can either count as pets!) Sometimes I think I might get a pet again, however my life is so busy with people and helping people in their lives, at camps and in pastoral / caring ways, I'm putting off a pet at this stage.

Interesting sharing of the stories, poems (thanks to Hawgwild and other posters).

Regards....

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 5:49 PM   #19

Thank you, banksy, Calicajun and Paul

Torgny

Old Sep 19, 2011, 5:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1974 View Post
Hi Torgny,

Thanks for sharing these photos of your beautiful dogs. I really admire the way you have captured the expressions of them in the first 3 photos in particular, and the rich, natural colours.

Many years ago I owned 2 dogs, one after the other. My second dog looked somewhat similar to your dog in photos #1 and #2. She had part "Keeshond" in her. The first dog was pure border collie, and much more playful.

I don't have any pets now (unless some insects in my garden and the birds that come to feed on them can either count as pets!) Sometimes I think I might get a pet again, however my life is so busy with people and helping people in their lives, at camps and in pastoral / caring ways, I'm putting off a pet at this stage.

Interesting sharing of the stories, poems (thanks to Hawgwild and other posters).

Regards....

Paul

Paul,

Both of your dogs were herders, I suppose. There is a new study that says that the border collie is the breed that can remember the largest number of words. Suppose it depends how much you talk to them

Same as with children perhaps. If they read rich books early ...

Regards

Torgny