Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Jan 20, 2004, 8:40 AM   #1

Default Huskey Puppy

A 10 week old Huskey that I was tasked with taking pictures of. It's easy to do, when he's not attacking the camera.

jsbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2004, 8:52 AM   #2

This is what I call an "almost" picture. If you did any cropping, then I suggest you uncrop it because you sliced off a tip of the puppy's ear and the underneath side of its leg. If this is an uncropped photo, then the solution is to crop in much closer so the cropping looks intentional, say, for the purpose of focusing on those blue eyes.

Be all that as it may, catching a picture of this little roughneck without a speck of motion blur must have been one heck of a challenge! I tried this sort of thing with a kitten last year and finally had to just plain give up.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 9:58 AM   #3

Actually, there is no cropping, but getting a picture of him sitting still is almost impossible, so I take what I can get.

As for his eyes, only one of them is blue, the other is brown. I thought it was odd, but apparently 20% of Huskeys are that way.

I agree that some cropping should be done on that. Unfortunately, I wasn't really paying attention to DOF, so a bit out of focus when cropped.

Some other ones I liked are:

The whole series (updated frequently) can be found: http://www.jetcom.org/gallery/Pippen

Thanks for the comments.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 11:01 AM   #4

I went out to your album and discovered lots of really nice shots. If I'd paid careful attention to page and number, I could tell you precisely which ones, but some were of the puppy with legs spread out fore and aft, always a cute puppy thing. And I saw more clearly those indecisively colored eyes.

One suggestion: you need more contrast, possibly done best by using Levels (if you're using an editor that has this tool).
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 11:26 AM   #5

Thanks for the tip. I'll see what I can do with some of my favorites.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 8:04 PM   #6

Nice shots, To bad on the cropped ear Try a little fill flash
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 10:12 PM   #7

wow! gorgeous dog! beautiful eyes! nice picture....the crop isn't that big a deal....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 12:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy43
Nice shots, To bad on the cropped ear Try a little fill flash
Actually, all the pictures were taken with a flash. On the big one above, the flash was bounced off the ceiling. Unfortunately, the ceiling was a good 8 ft away, and I was in the doorway, so the lighting was what I had hoped. A direct flash on this would have washed out the soft, subtle white fur on his face, and caused him to blink (I've found using a direct flash with my own dog always causes him to blink). The other problem is that he typically hangs out in a room with dark green walls, bouncing the flash off the wall doesn't work too well there

Maybe it's time to upgrade my flash to a 550ex